Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Kubuntu 24.04 installation fails

Hello,

Since April 30th I've been trying to clean install Kubuntu 24.04 on an HP ProDesk 400 G3 Desktop Mini, having a 220GB SSD hard disk and 8GB RAM, but it keeps failing.

Currently, this computer is running Kubuntu 22.04. To check if it could be a 24.04 issue, I installed Ubuntu 24.04 and it also runs well.

On the most recent attempt, hours ago, I downloaded the ISO file again and the checksum was verified to match the site's.

The error as attached is shown on the 'Finish' stage, and clicking on the 'Done' button opens a screen with the 'Welcome to KDE Plasma' dialog.

After the login, restarting the computer, always leads to the 'Try Kubuntu' and 'Install Kubuntu' screen even without the bootable USB drive, and clicking on 'Install Kubuntu' again opens the 'Welcome to KDE Plasma' dialog.

So, after each failing attempt, I reinstalled Kubuntu 22.04 and it still works well.

Appreciated.
    Best regards.

Error messageFinish stageWelcome dialog

Welcome.

From where did you download the ISO file?
    Did you download it from https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...24.04/release/​ ?

Python errors of the Calamares installer (resembling the one seen in your "Error message" screenshot) occured during the 24.04 Development Branch and 24.04 Beta phases, but should have been resolved shortly before the final release.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hi,

I got it from https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

I downloaded the ISO file from the link provided above and verified the checksum today, but the outcome is still the same.

Thanks.

Comment

If you have 22.04 installed, just upgrade it to 24.04. It will not upgrade directly to 24.04 until 24.04.1 is released sometime in August but you can do it now by editing /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and change "prompt=lts" to "prompt=normal". This will allow you to upgrade to 23.10 and then 24.04. Takes a bit of time, but should get you there.

Make a backup of anything important...

Please Read Me

Comment

If you want to go down the road oshunluvr suggested and you don't have anything in your Kubuntu 22.04 LTS installation (and you can install Kubuntu 23.10 without problems), IMHO it would be better to start with Kubuntu 23.10 and then directly upgrade to Kubuntu 24.04 LTS - leaving out the release-upgrade from 22.04 LTS to 23.10.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.
              I'll wait for a while. Probably, the issue might be resolved in a future update.

I'll keep retrying periodically.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X