No good deed goes unpunished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    Curious, I started KTorrent earlier today using kubuntu-24.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent on a previously downloaded iso (so that it started on 100%), and left it all day. It has uploaded 0 bytes.
    So I am not the only one. Try enabling the UPnP plugin and see if you get the server error.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Curious, I started KTorrent earlier today using kubuntu-24.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent on a previously downloaded iso (so that it started on 100%), and left it all day. It has uploaded 0 bytes.
      That may be (mostly) explainable. I see 344 seeders for the torrent, but only 16 downloaders at the moment. I get a momentary blip here once in a great while. Plus, I am sure your physical location adds a little to this.

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
      It looks like an old bug may have come back: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283335 Not sure how to get this fixed.
      A 13 year old bug?
      This one is a bit more recent, and is still happening on the current version (24.02.2) - I see it after enabling it here
      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=450179

If you need upnp, you might try a different bittorrent client, like Qbittorrent. Been using it for at least 12 years now. Currently I use it "headless" via a web interface from my NAS, though I still have it installed on my computer. There are other choices as well.
      Qbittorrent imo is overall nicer. And it's UPnP is working on my system and router (though I don't need it, or port forwarding, here on my router and/or ISP)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240505_120449.png Views:	0 Size:	153.4 KB ID:	678920
      Last edited by claydoh; May 05, 2024, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I have had difficulty in downloading *buntu isos with ktorrent for the last 2 years or so. I always use the server directly when it comes to Ubuntu; it is fast and reliable, possible to pause/resume. Additionally, I would also recommend trying a different torrent client like Transmission (Qt), it created wonders especially in unpopular torrents for me.

Comment

I tried the torrent version from distrowatch, probably on 4/26, and saw 250 seeders. After 2 hours I got 0 bytes and 0 seeders, only 1 leecher connection.

I gave up and did the download from the kubuntu server.

Something is definitely wrong with that torrent, as every other torrent I have tried will work no problem, which I assume means it isn't on the ktorrent side for me.

Comment

I read that Qbittorrent is bloated and uses a lot of system resources. Of course, if you can run it headless then maybe it's not so bad.
            Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I read that Qbittorrent is bloated and uses a lot of system resources. Of course, if you can run it headless then maybe it's not so bad.
              It's actually the other way around. At least that's the main reason I moved from ktorrent to qbittorrent, when I was using some extremely low end hardware.

It also works well, and has working UPnP.

It is very popular with Raspberry Pi users, as well

I do use it headless on my NAS/Homelab server. The web interface is identical to the desktop one

Headless is a no-brainer for me since the NAS is where the files go anyway.

Comment

It sounds like the Ubuntu torrents might all have a problem. It looks like the main torrent server is in the UK. Has anyone ever checked that server to make sure it is configured correctly?

Comment

Ktorrent Works fine for me, in the US, using three different ISPs, (My cable, my brother's fiber, and my mobile connection.)
                  Default settings, etc. No VPN, proxy, etc. Using the UPnP plugin on ktorrent is broken, and does block connections, maybe.
                  I don't need to forward ports, or use UPnP, but that could be router or IPS(s) related.

There is no server with bittorrent per se. Your client can see the seeders/leechers, but can't connect to them. That is a problem on your end, somewhere.
                  Try a VPN, or a different client.
                  Use UPnP or learn how to forward ports. There are tons of discussions, how-tos.
                  Or don't use bittorrent, maybe?

The Ubuntu torrent tracker is not mis-configured.

Comment

Much like suplero I tried using torrent to get an ISO - a very long time ago. And it was a very bad experience. So I just download from the Kubuntu server, and get it within a few moments.

Sorry, I don't share very well; I didn't go to kindergarten
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Ktorrent Works fine for me, in the US, using three different ISPs, (My cable, my brother's fiber, and my mobile connection.)
                      Default settings, etc. No VPN, proxy, etc. Using the UPnP plugin on ktorrent is broken, and does block connections, maybe.
                      I don't need to forward ports, or use UPnP, but that could be router or IPS(s) related.

There is no server with bittorrent per se. Your client can see the seeders/leechers, but can't connect to them. That is a problem on your end, somewhere.
                      Try a VPN, or a different client.
                      Use UPnP or learn how to forward ports. There are tons of discussions, how-tos.
                      Or don't use bittorrent, maybe?

The Ubuntu torrent tracker is not mis-configured.
                      As I said above I already tried using UPnP and got a server error and Jlittle said he tried UPnp and got a server error. It appears to just be the Ubuntu torrents so maybe that one server in the UK is misconfigured. Maybe the war in the middle east could be the problem as the hutis or whatever they are called severed the trans Atlantic cable a few days ago but I started it a few days before that was reported.

Comment

UPnP and got a server error and Jlittle said he tried UPnp and got a server error.
                        Yes, that is the bug with Ktorrent itself - so it is on your end, not the tracker's.
                        Try a different torrent client.

Again, bittorrent doesn't use an actual server. It is decentralized and peer-to-peer. The downloads come from all the users downloading, and from those who have finished and are sharing (seeding). Not from a central server or location.
                        There probably is an instance of an Ubuntu server seeding the iso, but that isn't really different from you or I doing it while downloading/seeding ourselves. If that machine went offline, it would not have an effect on all the other hundreds of seeders sharing with everyone.

I'm out.

Comment

Yes, that is the bug with Ktorrent itself - so it is on your end, not the tracker's.
                          Try a different torrent client.
                          Again, bittorrent doesn't use an actual server. It is decentralized and peer-to-peer. The downloads come from all the users downloading, and from those who have finished and are sharing (seeding). Not from a central server or location.
                          There probably is an instance of an Ubuntu server seeding the iso, but that isn't really different from you or I doing it while downloading/seeding ourselves. If that machine went offline, it would not have an effect on all the other hundreds of seeders sharing with everyone.

The other seeders do not work. I only get anything from the tracker. 0 of (300) seeders and 1 leecher.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; May 07, 2024, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X