Blank screens after reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank screens after reboot

So tried to install Kubuntu 24.04 on my desktop as I do every six months. I have a Sata SSD for Windows, I have an NVMe with multiple Linux installs and an HDD for EXt4 data. I ran the install. The new Grub menu opened up with the new 24.04 install at the top of the list. Went into 24.04 started making a few of my normal changes, but not a packages upgrade and rebooted. The new Grub came up again, but when I went into 24.04, it was just blank screens. The other installs still worked off the new Grub.

So I burned a new 24.04 image on a different stick. Reformatted and installed again on the same partition as before. As before I rebooted, new Grub came up and as before went into 24.04 and it came up fine. This time I just did a packages upgrade and rebooted. Grub comes up, go into 24.04 and the screens again are all blank. As before I closed down,by holding the power button down. But as before the new install would not appear a second time. Again the Grub menu was fine and I was able to boot into my 23.10 Kubuntu.

As I was writing this, I'm wondering if there's a problem with the partition, as I think I had a problem with the previous install on that partition. The partition in question is the last on the NVME, but I've still got unused space after that. I could remove the partition and then recreate it, but may be its better to leave p5 and just create a p6 and use that. I'm thinking my next move might be to try installing on my laptop which has a similar multi OS set up, but has an NVidea Graphics card as opposed to the Rx5700 on my desktop.

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
    […] making a few of my normal changes, […]
    Did you also do that in the second attempt and what are those changes step-by-step?
    Additional informations about your hardware setup could also help to narrow your problem down…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 01, 2024, 05:08 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
    X