Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 24.04 install iso grub 2.12 but files for 2.06 error? Is it a bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 24.04 install iso grub 2.12 but files for 2.06 error? Is it a bug?

Hello having an issue burning a Kubuntu 24.04 install iso. It shows an error page with image uses Grub 2.12 but only includes files for Grub 2.06 error. Will burning the ios as is work? Is this a bug or is it ok like this?

Welcome.

What program/method do you use to "burn" the Kubuntu ISO to an USB stick?
    What is the exact error message?

And you can always try to boot from it into a live environment and see if this works.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I downloaded the 24.04 ISO and used Startup Disk Creator from Discover (there are 2 versions, one uses the KDE client frontend and the other GTK+) to create a bootable image on a USB. It worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        Welcome.

What program/method do you use to "burn" the Kubuntu ISO to an USB stick?
        What is the exact error message?

And you can always try to boot from it into a live environment and see if this works.
        I used Rufus in Windows 10. I could still burn the iso but it came up with an error stating "image uses Grub 2.12 but only includes files for Grub 2.06" so guessing it looked at the ISO and said there was something wrong with the Grub on the ISO. This error appeared before burning the ISO and had option to try to download a newer version of grub possibly 2.12 and ignore so I chose ignore. I will try the live install USB soon. SO from what I read it is not the installation grub with the problem but the grub on the ISO on the USB stick.

Comment

I just tested this with Windows and Rufus 4.4 (the most recent version at the moment):

This is an error message concerning Rufus 4.4 and has nothing to do directly with the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS ISO !
          Because Rufus modifies the USB stick you want to write the ISO to (in a way other than some alternative tools do), for Linux ISOs it utilizes GRUB to do so. Rufus 4.4 only contains GRUB 2.06, but on the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS ISO is already GRUB version 2.12. No matter if you choose to let Rufus try to download and use GRUB 2.12 or use the already available GRUB 2.06: both results in a bootable and working Kubuntu 24.04 LTS ISO (at least on my computers).
          It also has no impact at all on the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS you actually install with the ISO - this will always contain GRUB 2.12.

A much simpler alternative tool you can also use to make a bootable Kubuntu 24.04 LTS USB stick under Windows is e.g. balena Etcher 1.18.11.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 01, 2024, 04:56 AM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
          X