Ugrade from 23.10 to 24.04 using Discover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugrade from 23.10 to 24.04 using Discover

Is it possible to upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 using Discover? I can use the command line, however, I am trying to evaluate Kubuntu for a family member and they are not familiar with the CLI.

No, as it is a distro-specific tool. Discover doesn't have this capability.
    However, there will be a notification when upgrades are officially available from Ubuntu - it will not happen immediately, though. It can be some time before they do.

But when it does, you just click on a button when opening the notification in the system tray, and go from there. It will be exactly the same process as if you started the GUI tool from the command line.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NobleUpgrades/Kubuntu

Comment

To summarize your reply, there will be a way to upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 without using the command line in the future at some point. This is very helpful. I will wait for the notification in the system tray, click on it, and go from there. Thank you for this information.
      Last edited by ghstrydr; Apr 30, 2024, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Still no 24.04 version upgrade option in Discover. I know it may take some time, hopefully it will be available in the next week or so.

Comment

There will never be a release-upgrade option (e.g. to upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS) in Discover for Kubuntu - as claydoh already wrote in post # 2…
          In Kubuntu you will get a pop-up message at the Plasma Panel beside your system tray icons.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Be patient.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1511...o-ubuntu-24-04
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              There will never be a release-upgrade option (e.g. to upgrade from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS) in Discover for Kubuntu - as claydoh already wrote in post # 2…
              In Kubuntu you will get a pop-up message at the Plasma Panel beside your system tray icons.
              Thank you for the correction, yes, that is what I understand will be the upgrade notification / option.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Not one of my greatest strengths, "patients"

Comment

You CAN upgrade now if you really want to. Not sure it's advisable. I sure hope you have a backup....

Code:
                  sudo do-release-upgrade -d
                  The "-d" option allows development releases, which 24.04 still is technically.

Please Read Me

Comment

Just for kicks, did the above on a 23.10 VM. 1957 packages later, it's 24.04.

Curiously, the release upgrader is now set for LTS rather than NORMAL like it was before.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Curiously, the release upgrader is now set for LTS rather than NORMAL like it was before.
                      I have seen this before in the past, not sure if it is on purpose, or difficult to properly set?
                      Maybe a bug, or just laziness, even.
                      I didn't quickly find any bug reports on it.

NOT changing the setting from the pre-upgrade value seems a no brainer.

Comment

Yeah, to me makes more sense to let the user keep their setting. Come to think of it, I did get the "package maintainers version or keep the current" option when doing the upgrade but it was only for /etc/default/grub and no other packages that I recall.

It a VM with BTRFS snapshots I made before the upgrade so I can do it again.

Please Read Me

Comment

OT:
                          Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          […]
                          Once an LTS always an LTS…
                          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

The upgrade showed up a few days ago and everything worked / upgraded fine. I wanted to give it a few days to verify there were no surprises. So for everything works as expected.

Comment

Working...
                            X