upgraded to 24.04 from 22.04, now xscreensaver won't autostart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] upgraded to 24.04 from 22.04, now xscreensaver won't autostart

I took the plunge, and I'm now in 24.04/Noble Numbat. Things went smoothly for the most part. I did have to reinstall WINE, but it went without a hitch. Strangely, it uninstalled CherryTree, but I simply reinstalled it from Discover. However, now xscreensaver no longer comes up automatically. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but had no luck. I went into System Settings ==> Startup and Shutdown ==> Autostart, and I find XScreensaver Settings there. At first I thought that only the settings were there and I therefore needed the xscreensaver command there. However, when I clock on removing it, it removes, but then when I go to add it back, the only option is that same Xscreensaver Settings. When I click on Properties ==> Application, I find "xscreensaver-settings" under "Program". Is that maybe what's wrong? Should it just say "xscreensaver" or do you think it's something else? Also under Properties ==> Permissions, the "is executable" box is not checked off. Should it be?

If I run Xscreensaver-settings from the Launcher, it comes up just fine. Mode is: Random Screensaver. Blank After is set to 99 minutes and Cycle After is set to 10 minutes. The "Lock screen after" check box is not checked. I can click on the Preview button and it brings up whichever screensaver is chosen. Anyone know what's up with this? I would really miss this bringing up a random screensaver like it was doing before the upgrade. Instead, it shows me a blue and white graphic that shows the Kubuntu logo.

Obviously, this isn't an system meltdown, thank goodness, but I would like to fix it, if possible.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Have you tried running it from the command line with
    Code:
    xscreensaver&
    ?

Comment

Originally posted by jrwatts View Post
      Have you tried running it from the command line with
      Code:
      xscreensaver&
      ?
      I just tried it and here's what I got:

Code:
      tom@tom-Dell-OptiPlex-7040:~$ xscreensaver: 21:26:38: already running on display :0 (window 0x3600001)
      from process 3058 (tom@tom-Dell-OptiPlex-7040)

​
      It would appear the program does engage, but it doesn't show any of those screensavers at random. It shows a blue and white login screen and I have to type in my Kubuntu password. Also, that login screen is not the one I chose from Startup & Shutdown ==> Login. I've chosen one named "Infinity," which is an astronomy-themed one.

I also can't seem to find the setting in this forum to change my signature to say 24.04 instead of 22.04.
      Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Sep 01, 2024, 08:32 PM.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

You need to run
        Code:
        xscreensaver-settings
        to change the settings. You should be able to select which screensavers to use and set it to random from there (and the settings for the xscreensaver lock window are there, too--it doesn't use the standard lock screen).

Comment

Working...
        X