Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System refuse to boot after Nvidia propriatory drivers install

Hi,

I was curious in trying 24.04 on an older test PC. It's an AMD AM3 mb with an Fx6300 cpu and and Nvidia Gtx650Ti. Installation went fine and he system was running ok. I did all the new updates (700MB). I decide to install the propriatory Nvidia drivers (v.470 as suggested). It went though ok but on reboot I just got a blank screen with a few text lines and it stuck there for good. I made 3 attempts at installation to confirm and yes the Nvidia driver bork the system. Any idea ? Is there a way to remove the Nvidia drivers on boot ?
    Tx

After finding some information on how to remove the Nvidia drivers from the command line, I was able to return to the Kde x-org drivers. Still the problem exist and I am wondering if it is applicable only to older cards (drivers v470). If someone can confirm that it work with recent Nvidia cards (drivers v500) ?

Comment

I have a PC with Athlon II 2.8 GHz and a nVidia GTX 650 2 GB. I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 24.04.
      Looks like it is using driver 470 (proprietary tested).
      I don't remember if initially it had Nouveau and I switched to 470 or if it automatically chose the 470.
      It has been working fine for a couple of months now, I don't do gaming or 3D on it.

Comment

How/which nvidia driver did you install? One you downloaded from nVidia or one from the official PPA?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vanadiumboy View Post
          I have a PC with Athlon II 2.8 GHz and a nVidia GTX 650 2 GB
          Commendable. My Athlon II died in 2016 (after much abuse by dodgy PSUs).

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by armageddon51 View Post
            Hi,

I was curious in trying 24.04 on an older test PC. It's an AMD AM3 mb with an Fx6300 cpu and and Nvidia Gtx650Ti. Installation went fine and he system was running ok. I did all the new updates (700MB). I decide to install the propriatory Nvidia drivers (v.470 as suggested). It went though ok but on reboot I just got a blank screen with a few text lines and it stuck there for good. I made 3 attempts at installation to confirm and yes the Nvidia driver bork the system. Any idea ? Is there a way to remove the Nvidia drivers on boot ?
            Tx
            Are you getting a screen that says Busybox and (initramfs)?

Comment

Working...
            X