Lost Firefox icon after upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Lost Firefox icon after upgrade

Upgraded to 24.04, and working well but, annoying little issue, I've lost my firefox (and chromium) icons.
    I suspect something to do with
    snap, as previous install had used apt for installation, while 24.04 installed from snap.
    When I launch firefox, there is no icon in the taskbar, just a blank space. You can see below, there are icons for running
    ​apps -- Konsole, KTimetracker, Zotero, Thunderbird and Chrome. The blank between Thunderbird and Chrome is Firefox.
    How do I refresh to get the icon back?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	KDEnoFF.png Views:	0 Size:	21.0 KB ID:	680242

Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Did you try re-booting?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Did you try re-booting?
      Why reboot when a simple logout and login will reload the .desktop file for it, at least for the normal installs who knows about the snap crap. To the OP open konsole and use locate firefox.desktop to see where the file needed to start it is. If the logout and back in did not work then use in konsole /path/to/firefox.desktop to open it then right click on the new icon shown and choose the pin to taskbar option to keep it there. Once pinned it can be dragged and dropped on the taskbar to the location desired or left as the last in line.

Edit: I would also take a look in the menus under Internet to make certain it is not there, if it is start it then do the pinning step to have it saved to the taskbar like you want.
      Last edited by RedGreen925; Jun 03, 2024, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks for suggestions. The issue isn't that it's not appearing in the K menu (which it is just fine), it's when launched the icon in the taskbar is blank.
        I suspect one of my earlier config files is looking for the icon in the wrong place since it's now been superseded by snap install.

firefox.desktop​ is in
        ~/.local/share/plasma_icons/firefox.desktop

which firefox
        /usr/bin/firefox
        ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2377 Nov 6 2022

snap list firefox
        Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
        firefox 126.0.1-1 4336 latest/stable mozilla

It's persistent across logins/reboots

Where is the running app icon set? Any ideas?

I tried Edit aplication fro the K menu, Applicaton tab shows
        BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop
        I had a look and that file exists
        program is /snap/bin/firefox
        Last edited by devnulljp; Jun 03, 2024, 12:19 PM.
        Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Try another Icon Theme just to see if it shows up. You can always switch back.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by devnulljp View Post
            Thanks for suggestions. The issue isn't that it's not appearing in the K menu (which it is just fine), it's when launched the icon in the taskbar is blank.
            I suspect one of my earlier config files is looking for the icon in the wrong place since it's now been superseded by snap install.

Where is the running app icon set? Any ideas?

I tried Edit aplication fro the K menu, Applicaton tab shows
            BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop
            I had a look and that file exists
            program is /snap/bin/firefox
            Then this needs to be checked "/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop" to confirm the Icon= line in it points to the proper icon. Find any other firefox.desktop files and rename or remove them to stop the possibility of it(them) interfering.

Code:
            Icon=/home/zeus/bin/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png
            This shows mine for the download from Mozilla I keep in my ~/bin directory.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGreen925 View Post

Then this needs to be checked "/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop" to confirm the Icon= line in it points to the proper icon. Find any other firefox.desktop files and rename or remove them to stop the possibility of it(them) interfering.

Code:
              Icon=/home/zeus/bin/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png
              This shows mine for the download from Mozilla I keep in my ~/bin directory.
              Thanks, I think you're on the right track. I get:

grep Icon /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop
              Icon=/snap/firefox/4336/default256.png

That file exists and I can open it.

However, when I look at my version of your path I don't see a 128 or 256.png

ls /home/<username>/bin/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default
              default16.png default32.png default48.png

When I look at the snap version of the desktop file I get

grep Icon /snap/firefox/4336/firefox.desktop
              Icon=/default256.png

​which looks wrong -- there's no default256.png in root, but I can't edit that file even as root (I suspect it should be default256.png, without the slash)
              What does everyone else's /snap/firefox/current/firefox.desktop
              look like?
              Last edited by devnulljp; Jun 03, 2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I think you're on the right track. I get:

grep Icon /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop
                Icon=/snap/firefox/4336/default256.png

That file exists and I can open it.

However, when I look at my version of your path I don't see a 128 or 256.png

ls /home/<username>/bin/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default
                default16.png default32.png default48.png

When I look at the snap version of the desktop file I get

grep Icon /snap/firefox/4336/firefox.desktop
                Icon=/default256.png

​which looks wrong -- there's no default256.png in root, but I can't edit that file even as root (I suspect it should be default256.png, without the slash)
                What does everyone else's /snap/firefox/?/firefox.desktop
                look like?
                My version of the path is for my install that I have in my home bin directory that was downloaded from Mozilla years ago and updated all this time. You need to check in the /snap/firefox/4336/ which you say you have and it opens. If that is correct then that junk snap is even worse than I have thought of it with it not even able to find an icon at the location specified as packaged. I can make the icon disappear anytime I want here by editing my .desktop file and changing to incorrect path change it back the icon re-appears. Only suggestion I have left is to get rid of the snap junk and use either the mozillateam ppa or download from Mozilla. Scwarzar Kater I think is how it is spelled has scripts to get rid of the junk.

https://gitlab.com/scripts94/kubuntu-get-rid-of-snap
                https://gitlab.com/scripts94/kubuntu...tional-firefox
                https://gitlab.com/scripts94/kubuntu...al-thunderbird

Comment

Yeah, I think it's a snap issue as the other app I have this problem with is chromium, and it's also a snap install.
                  So, possibly some other config file I have is messing with snap finding these icons.

Thanks to RedGreen925, I successfully removed snap and reinstalled firefox and thunderbird properly and icons are back.
                  Man, I don't rate snap at all. The final straw was this on https://snapcraft.io/
                  So, the whole point is more data mining? Aren't we drowning in this kind of stuff enough already? Bye bye snap.

Measure user growth

Make data-driven decisions with active install metrics. Watch as automatic updates migrate users to your latest release. Understand your audience with geographic and version breakdowns.

Last edited by devnulljp; Jun 03, 2024, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks to RedGreen925, I successfully removed snap and reinstalled firefox and thunderbird properly and icons are back.
                    Man, I don't rate snap at all. The final straw was this on https://snapcraft.io/
                    So, the whole point is more data mining? Aren't we drowning in this kind of stuff enough already? Bye bye snap.
                    You are welcome, good to read you get it sorted with a proper install of the packages. Ubuntu have been going downhill for some time now from a freedom respecting company to this garbage they bundle in now with it, I am fairly certain the 24.04 will be the last version of it I use. I will see how much longer I can put up with it I have got rid of all the trash in it like the snap and the spamming advertisements in the terminal for the Pro "upgrade". I give it until next year when Debian comes out with the Trixie to get the latest of the KDE 6.? at that time. Even then I think I take that opportunity to ditch the systemd junk too and go with the Devuan version of it.

Comment

Actually looks like the problem was fixed by reinstalling the Breeze theme

sudo apt-get reinstall breeze

Still, I learned a few things in the process

Comment

And even better, looks like I needed to rebuild the icons cache

sudo kbuildsycoca5

Icons back

Comment

Still losing the Firefox icon all the time. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                          X