Identifying Ubuntu Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Identifying Ubuntu Sources

Is there a reason why /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources information does not show up in Synaptic?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Not !00% sure, but I don't think Synaptic sees anything (by default) under sources.list.d, which is where "custom" URIs now go. Synaptic is 'old', so...

You can add your custom URIs to Synaptic.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

O.K., the chrome deb resource shows, but not the core stuff.

And, yes,
      apt-add-repository --list
      will list it all, but I kind of got hooked/spoiled on Synaptic showing the resources. Oh well
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        Is there a reason why /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources information does not show up in Synaptic?
        I thought that to be used the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d have to have the .list file name extension, and that anything else is ignored.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

That's what used to happen! The list that shows in
          apt-add-repository --list​​
          is formatted a bit differently, now. What I did "discover" , is that Discover Settings now shows the repo output in the format that Synaptic used to show it. However, the Ubuntu repo is indicated by the first few line ins the list file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240521_060007.png
Views:	382
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	679512

Comment

See Ubuntu’s Repository Configuration: Ubuntu sources have moved to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources for further details.

I just can guess that Synaptic cannot handle .sources files (I rarely use Synaptic)…
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 21, 2024, 05:10 AM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Is synaptic opening the separate Software Sources utility, the same one opened in Discover (and Muon), or is it opening something that looks different?
              Synaptic will, or used to, open the *buntu Software Sources tool (software-properties-qt or -gtk) if It has its own crappy and simpler tool for managing repos, if the Ubuntu one isn't there.
              So any oddities would be from the Software Sources tool, most likely.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...by=-id&start=0

Comment

Synaptic opens a completely different looking app when selecting the Repositories menu option.

Comment

I think my memory is jumbled. Synaptic probably wants the Ubuntu/gtk version software-properties-gtk.
                  yup, it needs it:

Before and after:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240521_164224.png Views:	0 Size:	259.6 KB ID:	679522 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240521_164006.png Views:	0 Size:	266.5 KB ID:	679523

yes, this is a Jammy VM running on my NAS/Homelab PC, as I don't have a 24.04 system handy.

Last edited by claydoh; May 21, 2024, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Apparently, what I've installed for Kubuntu all these years, has "just worked". So I'll look at
                    software-properties-gtk
                    when i get a moment and see if it "just works" again

Comment

claydoh that was it. The repo display for Synaptic now looks like it used to, and Discover shows the same portrayal. Of course Calamares did set up the repos to follow the new listing method, as shown by
                      apt-add-repository --list​​​
                      . It's just different, but it works and did get a new update notification this evening. apt update and apt full-upgrade work just as always.

Comment

Discover used to have a useful screen that showed a bunch of Ubuntu repositories that were available/subscribed to and that has now disappeared.

Comment

And that's because the repo "list" has changed format and location. Should there have been better cross-talk with Discover when this happened? Of course, but apparently it didn't. So give up? Hell no. Discover may catch up at some point. Until then use the solution in posts #2 and #3, above. And apt knows where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                            And that's because the repo "list" has changed format and location. Should there have been better cross-talk with ...
                            Lots of tools have problems. I did a release upgrade on a VPS, and something found a .list left over from the original install in 2019 and converted it to a .sources, which lacked a "signed-by" (or something similar). I could just delete it, but I had to work that out.

APT was so solid for such a long time... IMO it's not surprising that eventually it needed changes that are causing trouble.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                            X