[RESOLVED] Black screen after first start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Black screen after first start

Hi I see some similar problem in the forum but no one really match with mine.
    I had Kobuntu 22.04 running in my desktop. Now I installed 24.04 in dual boot with Win 11. After installation and reboot my grub appear and I can login in Kubuntu without any problem. Restart, grub again no problem but after blank screen.
    I try to install again 3 times and always the same, first start perfect and after blank screen. Between the restarts I never start Win11. After that I try to install Ubunto 24.04 and works perfect, so I think is a problem of KDE graphics.
    I ave AMD graphic card so should not be driver issue. Any idea? Tks

Surfing I found that should be a bug on loading quiet splash. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/2063877
    For me it worked in this way:
    Reboot pressing SHIFT if your Grub not show
    Launch Kubuntu in recovery mode

Edit /etc/default/grub
    Change line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash'
    in
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=' ' (remove quiet splash), save end from terminal

sudo update-grub
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 08, 2024, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Now working fine

Comment

Thanks for sharing - so this could help someone else, too.

Perhaps it was a problem with Plymouth
        You deactivated Plymouth​ by removing splash from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 23, 2024, 03:25 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Now I removed only SPLASH and is also working but at least with a clean screen

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet'

Comment

Thank you for this fix.
            Yesterday I upgraded from 22.04 LTS to 24.04 LTS: everything went smoothly and I used my laptop all day, no problems.

This morning, boot, grub and black screen.
            Removing "splash" from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT fixed the boot problem.

I have an AMD integrated graphics card, Ryzen7 CPU.

This is a very strange behaviour... After the update, everything worked for a day (even reboots), then the next day my laptop is "bricked".
            I'm glad for this post, really :-)​

Comment

I’m new to Linux but having the same issue, I believe. How do I edit /etc/default/grub from the recovery mode root shell prompt? Do I need to reinstall and edit it from the fresh installing before restarting?

Comment

Welcome.

If you can get to the recovery mode root shell of your installation, enter:
                • cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.orig (this makes a backup of your /etc/default/grub​ file first)​
                • nano /etc/default/grub (to open and edit the file in the nano CLI text editor - edit to your liking and press [Ctrl] [o] and [Return] to save and afterwards [Ctrl] [x] to exit
                • update-grub (to update the boot loader with the new settings)
                • reboot
                Good luck.

If this worked for you and Kubuntu boots afterwards, you can also have a look at Essential and strongly recommended things to do directly after a Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 24, 2024, 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks a ton, Schwarzer and Dido! This worked perfectly and I went ahead and did everything on your essential and recommended list. I really appreciate the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Dido1 View Post
                    Surfing I found that should be a bug on loading quiet splash. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/2063877
                    For me it worked in this way:
                    Launch Kubuntu in recovery mode

Edit /etc/default/grub
                    Change line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash'
                    in
                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=' ' (remove quiet splash), save end from terminal

sudo update-grub
                    I just wanted to chime in and say, "me too" about this issue, and the advice above worked for me.
                    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
                    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by Dido1 View Post
                      […]
                      […]
                      sudo update-grub
                      For the sake of completeness:

To get to the GRUB boot menu press [Shift] for a ("legacy") BIOS system or press [Esc] for an UEFI system.​

And don't use sudo in case you are already in a root shell (there is a "#" at the input then instead of the "$").
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 27, 2024, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Hi, Linux newbie here and first-time poster to these forums o/

Has this been fixed yet?? I've been recommending Kubuntu to a lot of people, but this bug will definitely negatively affect their thoughts about Linux as a whole if they try it out.

Comment

thanks for the help, removing quiet splash helped me too.
                          Dell Inspiron 15 3530 6.8.0-35-generic, Kubuntu 24.04
                          Last edited by MartinDT; Jun 19, 2024, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Same Issue, the restart after "upgrading" to 24.04 from 23.10 was fine.
                            Shut computer off and went to boot in today to just a black screen after BIOS screen.
                            Thank goodness for Timeshift and always have a live linux usb around. I guess I'll just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilford111 View Post
                              Hi, Linux newbie here and first-time poster to these forums o/

Has this been fixed yet?? I've been recommending Kubuntu to a lot of people, but this bug will definitely negatively affect their thoughts about Linux as a whole if they try it out.
                              Nah, I tried back in June 18th, my above post and just tried yesterday. Same bug still there just loads a black screen after updating...

Comment

Working...
                              X