Trying to get WoWLAN to work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get WoWLAN to work.

I have a PC in another room I want to wake up remotely to "service" it remotely. WoL works on the ethernet port if it's plugged in (obviously) but WoWL does not work. The wifi device reports wake-on-lan is supported.

My assumption is the wifi is powered off but the ethernet "listens" when it's off.

I really don't know where to start...

Please Read Me

No idea if this is relevant, but if not, maybe it will trigger your creative juices and help you in the right direction.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1022...-after-suspend
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      My assumption is the wifi is powered off but the ethernet "listens" when it's off.
      That is correct.

For wifi it depends on the chipset, and likely only is supported in certain suspend states

Stolen from here

Code:
      $ sudo ethtool eno1 | grep Wake
      Supports Wake-on: pumbg
      Wake-on: g

$ sudo ethtool wlx347de44fff69 | grep Wake
      $
      $ sudo ethtool wlx347de44fff69
      Settings for wlx347de44fff69:
      Link detected: yes

Comment

My research reveals most mobo venders have not enabled this functionality for wifi devices even though the wifi device itself is capable. The one post I read that was able to get it to work used a wifi-to-ether bridge as the "wake-up" device. Not worth all it for my use. I just wondered if it was possible. I'll just have to turn it on manually if I want to service it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X