X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Screen not working after waking from sleep

Hello everyone,

I have bought a new Laptop and installed Kubuntu 24.04. Everything works out of the box!
    However, sleep is acting all strange. When I put the laptop to sleep through the power button, it will wake up when I open the lid, but it's not able to start my display (and I think keyboard either).
    When I put the laptop to sleep by closing the lid, I am sometimes able to wake it again by opening the lid. But most of the time I get a black screen which is trying to start (a short flickering and sometimes my cursor is visible for a short moment).
    I have tried many things. I also tried to install Lenovo's own drivers (amdgpu...). That was a mistake as these drivers break Noble. A bit dumb because I didn't notice the package is only for Ubuntu 22.04.4.
    I also tried to see whether I can enable Advanced BIOS setting because apparently there might be an option which change the power settings. But I haven't been able to find that.

Anyway, I would really like to see sleep work again, as I use it a lot.

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.13
    Kernel Version: 6.8.0-45-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5825U with Radeon Graphics
    Memory: 13,5 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
    Manufacturer: LENOVO
    Product Name: 82TV
    System Version: Lenovo V15 G3 ABA​

I hope someone can help me with this.
    Kind regards,
    Jurgen
  • Answer selected by Snowhog at Yesterday, 08:44 AM.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    While not very likely, given it's a new laptop, it could be a backlight issue, which is either a connection problem (mechanical or electrical), or the display itself going bad.

Boot from a LiveUSB. Does the same behavior exist? If not (reliably), then that isn't the issue, and we start looking at other things. Also, just to eliminate a messed up configuration file, create a new user and log in to it and see if the same behaviour exists. If not (reliably), then there is an issue with a configuration file in your user home directory.
    Thanks for your answer. I actually tried that as well. However, I found the solution!

I already read several times about this thing in the BIOS called "S3/Modern Standby Support". That's why I tried to find a way to enable advanced settings in the BIOS. So, I looked for a way to change the settings in GRUB and found this post.
    In short, I did this:

1. Edit /etc/default/grub
    Open Konsole and type:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    (hit enter and give your password)
    Add amd_iommu=off to option of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.
    (For me it was GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash")
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=off"
    Then hit CTRL+O enter and CRTL+X to close.
    2. Update grub
    In Konsole run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    (hit enter)

Now my laptop seems to wake normally again after sleep. In the end this seems to present in the whole Lenovo Ideapad series using ryzen processors​.

Comment

While not very likely, given it's a new laptop, it could be a backlight issue, which is either a connection problem (mechanical or electrical), or the display itself going bad.

Boot from a LiveUSB. Does the same behavior exist? If not (reliably), then that isn't the issue, and we start looking at other things. Also, just to eliminate a messed up configuration file, create a new user and log in to it and see if the same behavior exists. If not (reliably), then there is an issue with a configuration file in your user home directory.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Boot from a LiveUSB. Does the same behavior exist? If not (reliably), then that isn't the issue, and we start looking at other things. Also, just to eliminate a messed up configuration file, create a new user and log in to it and see if the same behaviour exists. If not (reliably), then there is an issue with a configuration file in your user home directory.
        Thanks for your answer. I actually tried that as well. However, I found the solution!

I already read several times about this thing in the BIOS called "S3/Modern Standby Support". That's why I tried to find a way to enable advanced settings in the BIOS. So, I looked for a way to change the settings in GRUB and found this post.
        In short, I did this:

1. Edit /etc/default/grub
        Open Konsole and type:
        Code:
        sudo nano /etc/default/grub
        (hit enter and give your password)
        Add amd_iommu=off to option of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.
        (For me it was GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash")
        Code:
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=off"
        Then hit CTRL+O enter and CRTL+X to close.
        2. Update grub
        In Konsole run:
        Code:
        sudo update-grub
        (hit enter)

Now my laptop seems to wake normally again after sleep. In the end this seems to present in the whole Lenovo Ideapad series using ryzen processors​.

Comment

Nice find.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nice find.
            Thanks, it has to do with the graphic card.
            When someone is big in gaming and wants to use a virtual machine for it (to play in Windows), this iommu can be configured to pass-through all the specs of the graphic card to that Virtual machine.
            The BIOS seems to offer that option and the Kernel thinks it needs to configure it itself, causing it to conflict a bit.
            Anyway, this is way above my head, but this smart man explains it perfectly for those who want to benefit of this technique:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yhw...H50X90pJ0UzTqn
            or on Odysee:
            https://odysee.com/@christitustech:5...onfiguration:5

Hopefully, others will benefit from these solutions as well.

Comment

Working...
            X