This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what's going on, sorry.

You may find out something by looking at the shutdown messages. You can see some of them using, in a konsole,
    Code:
    journalctl -b-1
    If you're using the default pager you can press G to go to the end, then page backwards. I wrote "some of them" because the messages stop when the journal stops. There's hundreds of entries, but something going wrong may be coloured yellow or red.

Another approach is to edit /etc/default/grub and remove the words "quiet splash" where they appear:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    ​
    becomes
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
    ​
    ​then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    The next boot will show the details of the system starting, then the details of the system shutting down. Very nerdy, but I have, not often, identified shutdown problems by looking at these.

Another thing... you've got the removable drive in /etc/fstab. This can cause problems, such as delaying startup, if the drive is not plugged in. There at least these ways to avoid problems:
    1. I prefer to mount removable drives by clicking on them in dolphin, but if you don't like where they get mounted, under /media somewhere, I suggest leaving them in /etc/fstab and adding "noauto,user" to the options (so that it reads "defaults,noauto,user"). Then, if you click on a drive in dolphin it will mount according to the fstab.
    2. One can add "nofail" to the options.
    3. Don't use /etc/fstab, rather use system settings, removable storage, removable devices.

Regards, John Little

Comment

I think I didn't explain the problem exactly. This problem is not only about the external hard drive continuing to work even though the computer is turned off. It is about the USB ports having power even though the computer is turned off. I exemplified the problem with the external drive, but other devices also work because the USB ports have power.

Comment

So....what about the eRp settings in the bios, or maybe Windows Fast Restart/fast reboot?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac..._if_the_pc_is/

Comment

I noticed that when I issue the shutdown command in Linux, the USB connected devices continue to work. However, when I do the same in Windows, all the USB devices are shut down. What could be the reason for this?
          It seems like a BIOS setting problem on Asus motherboards. I found this guide on Asus page.
          Asus Motherboard - How to disable standby power of the USB connected device​
          CPU Intel Core i7-4790, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 2014 Asus motherboard, Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4600, 500 GB SSD Samsung EVO 850, LG BD-RE burner, Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter, Audio Device Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller.

Comment

Originally posted by lednyk View Post

It seems like a BIOS setting problem on Asus motherboards. I found this guide on Asus page.
            Asus Motherboard - How to disable standby power of the USB connected device​
            finally!

After following the instructions you suggested, USB devices are now completely closed. It just seems strange to me that Windows shuts down the computer by closing the USB devices without any problems or adjustments, but in Linux, it is necessary to change a setting to achieve this. thank you for helping me!

Comment

That's still a BIOS/UEFI issue, not an OS issue. Windows Fast Startup remains in control of hardware during its apparent shutdown in order to have a more rapid startup. Linux uses power management to turnoff hardware power during its actual shutdown. The BIOS/UEFI overrides each OS by retaining power control on certain hardware, even after the OS bails out.

That's why I asked about Windows Fast Startup to determine the actual hardware impact in the Windows environment. So not saying your conclusion is wrong, and it would be interesting to see given the BIOS/UEFI requirements, but the actual question is still open.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
              X