This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shutdown issue

I noticed that when I issue the shutdown command in Linux, the USB connected devices continue to work. However, when I do the same in Windows, all the USB devices are shut down. What could be the reason for this?
  • Answer selected by Snowhog at Aug 11, 2024, 02:39 PM.

I noticed that when I issue the shutdown command in Linux, the USB connected devices continue to work. However, when I do the same in Windows, all the USB devices are shut down. What could be the reason for this?
    It seems like a BIOS setting problem on Asus motherboards. I found this guide on Asus page.
    Asus Motherboard - How to disable standby power of the USB connected device​

Comment

What specific command string? There are many options that can be used for various purposes.

Continue to work or are just not shut off?
      This is probably hardware specific,. as this is mostly determined by the motherboard. Mine has options for this in the BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        What specific command string? There are many options that can be used for various purposes.

Continue to work or are just not shut off?
        This is probably hardware specific,. as this is mostly determined by the motherboard. Mine has options for this in the BIOS.
        It doesn't matter whether I enter the shutdown command from the commandline or click the shutdown button from the taskbar. However, the same hardware shuts down completely when Windows shutdown.

Comment

But what command and options exactly?
          The command has options that may help

How windows does it is sort of immaterial . Your system's ACPI is designed for Windows use, and probably doesn't follow standards, if there even are any.

I'd still check your BIOS settings

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/shutdo...with-examples/

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-shutdown-linux/
          https://www.debian.org/releases/stab...h08s01.en.html

Comment

Have you tried this command (after closing all active applications​)?
            sudo shutdown -P now
            Last edited by lednyk; Aug 09, 2024, 05:42 AM.
            CPU Intel Core i7-4790, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 2014 Asus motherboard, Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4600, 500 GB SSD Samsung EVO 850, LG BD-RE burner, Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter, Audio Device Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller.

Comment

Originally posted by lednyk View Post
              Have you tried this command (after closing all active applications​)?
              yes, i tried. it's not working. my mainboard is asus b350 prime plus.

Comment

Originally posted by maximan View Post
                yes, i tried. it's not working.
                Not working as in it doesn't do anything, or not working as in it does power off and shutdown your PC, but the attached USB devices are still, what, powered on?
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Not working as in it doesn't do anything, or not working as in it does power off and shutdown your PC, but the attached USB devices are still, what, powered on?
                  pc is shutting down but usb devices still working. same system same machine, windows shuts down completely to pc but linux don't.

Comment

... usb devices still working...
                    Sorry, curiosity burns sometimes...

How can you tell, if the PC is off? Are they drives, with lights still on? Or maybe RGB mice or keyboards?
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

Sorry, curiosity burns sometimes...

How can you tell, if the PC is off? Are they drives, with lights still on? Or maybe RGB mice or keyboards?
                      i have usb external harddrive. when pc shutdown it's still spinning. but only when linux shutdown to pc.

Comment

I've not seen that behavior in Linux for as long as I've been using Linux. So, this may sound weird, but if you are dual booting with Windows 10, is Fast Startup enabled in your Windows? If it is, disable that (I believe it's in the Power menu) and see if the behavior continues. Just try to eliminate one possibility.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

i have usb external harddrive. when pc shutdown it's still spinning. but only when linux shutdown to pc.
                          Weird. Is the drive mounted via /etc/fstab, or as a removable device? I tend to think the latter is better, using system settings, removable storage, removable devices.

If the drive is seen as a removable drive, does it spin down if you "safely remove" mounted file systems on the drive, using the "Disks and Devices" item in the system tray? (IME, it's sometimes been annoyingly difficult to avoid the devices turning off, which can be inconvenient, because they have to be physically unplugged and plugged back in to access them.)

Does the drive spin down if you tell it to? To do this, determine the device name in Linux, something like /dev/sda, perhaps using the "Info Centre", or findmnt --real in a konsole. Then, in a konsole,
                          Code:
                          sudo hdparm -y /dev/sda
                          Note that that does not turn the drive off, or remove it. Some of my removable drives do not spin down with that command. Using -Y instead of -y is supposed to shut down a drive.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                            I've not seen that behavior in Linux for as long as I've been using Linux. So, this may sound weird, but if you are dual booting with Windows 10, is Fast Startup enabled in your Windows? If it is, disable that (I believe it's in the Power menu) and see if the behavior continues. Just try to eliminate one possibility.
                            As you said, I turned off the "fast boot" feature, but it's still the same. I even turned off the xHCI feature in the bios. the result is still the same. What I don't understand is this: While Windows can shut down the PC completely, why linux can't (on my pc). I think many Linux users actually have this problem, but no one may be fully aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

Weird. Is the drive mounted via /etc/fstab, or as a removable device? I tend to think the latter is better, using system settings, removable storage, removable devices.

If the drive is seen as a removable drive, does it spin down if you "safely remove" mounted file systems on the drive, using the "Disks and Devices" item in the system tray? (IME, it's sometimes been annoyingly difficult to avoid the devices turning off, which can be inconvenient, because they have to be physically unplugged and plugged back in to access them.)

Does the drive spin down if you tell it to? To do this, determine the device name in Linux, something like /dev/sda, perhaps using the "Info Centre", or findmnt --real in a konsole. Then, in a konsole,
                              Code:
                              sudo hdparm -y /dev/sda
                              Note that that does not turn the drive off, or remove it. Some of my removable drives do not spin down with that command. Using -Y instead of -y is supposed to shut down a drive.
                              The output after giving this command is as follows.

/dev/sde:
                              issuing standby command
                              SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Sharing files from external drive, I had to make the following settings on fstab. The disk named "harici" is an external portable HDD. Other hard drives are not included in fstab

#UUID=8D9E-7EC2 /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 2
                              UUID=e4b15030-06ca-4235-bec0-8bbe28c362ba / ext4 defaults 0 1
                              UUID=a41973ae-55da-4168-b102-4b299b57a8c7 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
                              /swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0
                              tmpfs /tmp tmpfs noatime,mode=1777 0 0
                              UUID=8D9E-7EC2 /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
                              UUID=0aa7a3b9-1dc4-49a6-84b9-c6e4c5d08ee3 /mnt/viext4 ext4 defaults 0 0
                              UUID=584686B61B0543EF /mnt/st1000 ntfs defaults 0 0
                              UUID=4AD80D16D80D0245 /mnt/harici ntfs defaults 0 0
                              Last edited by maximan; Aug 10, 2024, 08:47 AM.

Comment

As you said, I turned off the "fast boot" feature, but it's still the same. I even turned off the xHCI feature in the bios. the result is still the same. What I don't understand is this: While Windows can shut down the PC completely, why linux can't (on my pc). I think many Linux users actually have this problem, but no one may be fully aware of it.
                                We may be talking about the same thing, but just to be sure you have disabled the "FAST STARTUP" (a specifically named feature) in Windows. Not talking about anything in BIOS/UEFI.

But I have never seen a USB attached drive (of any kind) remain powered in Linux after a successful shutdown. Not doubting what you are observing, just leveling the conversation and trying to get to the root cause.

The next brick house on the left
                                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                                X