Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop was shutdown during latest firmware update

Hello,

My laptop, a thinkpad L570, was shutdown during the firmware update through Discover.

I wasnt expecting a firmware update from Kubuntu, it usually comes from Lenovo.

The laptop doesnt go to the bios screen but the power button light does flash and then shut off.

I know my laptop may be screwed now.

I have another laptop and am hoping I can hook it up via usb and rewrite the bios or firmware so that it boots to bios, then I can reinstall.

Thanks

The updates from Discover are not firmware updates.
    There is a file called linux-firmware or something like that. This contains closed source stuff that comes from major corporations like Intel, AMD, etc.
    It’s isn’t a BIOS update.

Sounds like the BIOS is frozen. I would cut off the power. Remove the battery. Find the CMOS jumper and do a reset to erase the CMOS memory. In order for this to work, the CMOS battery needs to be good (3 V).

Comment

Obvious questions, as you didn't say, but is/was the laptop on AC power, or on battery? If the latter, have you plugged it in to AC? Again, obvious questions, but...
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vanadiumboy View Post
        The updates from Discover are not firmware updates.
        It’s isn’t a BIOS update.
        It well could be. Discover includes fwupdmgr support, and some companies can provide bios updates through it.

Many Thinkpads can get them this way.
        Last edited by claydoh; Aug 25, 2024, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

It well could be. Discover includes fwupdmgr support, and some companies can provide bios updates through it.

Many Thinkpads can get them this way.
          Wow! That can be nasty.
          They better be sure that it is the right BIOS for you motherboard unless if you are lucky enough to have one of those dual-BIOS motherboards.
          In the old days, it was said that even if the power goes out during a BIOS flash, it could be that a certain portion of the BIOS is functional. You might be lucky and that it doesn't display anything on screen but you can reflash the BIOS again via your floppy disk drive and MS-DOS. I don't know the situation now.

Comment

Boy, reading this, it's another reminder to always keep handy that flash drive loaded with the correct BIOS file for your motherboard.
            It's also one of the must-do's when building a new system -- to have it ready before you start building.
            FWIW, IME, ASUS is great at this. But, by now, 2024, I would think all mb makers should make it easy to get the BIOS on flash drive.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X