Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with external USB HDD

Hello,
    When I connect my external USB HDD there is un error - ''wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error''.
    The HDD is ok because it worked perfect on my laptop with ubuntu 24.04

Welcome.

Not much information to work with…

I guess the external HDD is formatted with the NTFS file system type?
    If yes: Try fixing NTFS drives from Windows first and if this does not work try
    sudo ntfsfix -d /dev/whatever_your_ntfs_drive_is from the Konsole terminal emulator.
    Sometimes this is the solution for the error messages you posted if you cannot fix NTFS from Windows.​
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I think that the problem is not in HDD because it works on my laptop with ubuntu ...

Comment

Perhaps the GNOME desktop environment is too stupid to recognize that something is wrong…
        Is the HDD even NTFS?
        Did you try the two things that I wrote?

Otherwise you will have to provide much more infos here or there probably will be no one that can or wants to help to solve your problem.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I have had the same issue. And also trying to copy large amounts of data some times to external drives it says it is out of Space and there is no way as it is 200gb going to an empty 1tb drive. Some times it wont even mount the drive.

Comment

The OP has not even confirmed that the external USB HDD is formatted in NTFS - so…

I avoid using NTFS as much as I can in connection with Linux or macOS. I have never had any problems with USB storage devices in ext4, exFAT, HFS+ or APFS - even with lots of files (>100000) and large files (>50GiB) or total sizes >300GiB.

PS: "out of space" can also mean "out of inodes".
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 24, 2024, 08:14 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlov1881 View Post
              I think that the problem is not in HDD because it works on my laptop with ubuntu ...
              Same here. It works fine in Ubuntu 24.04 and Mint 21 but not Dolphin in Kubuntu 24.04 or 23.10. I can view all folders and files in Thunar on Kubuntu 24.04 so it seems the problem lies with Dolphin which is a pity as its my favourite file manager
              Last edited by brianharr; May 30, 2024, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Welcome.

Not much information to work with…

I guess the external HDD is formatted with the NTFS file system type?
                If yes: Try fixing NTFS drives from Windows first and if this does not work try
                sudo ntfsfix -d /dev/whatever_your_ntfs_drive_is from the Konsole terminal emulator.
                Sometimes this is the solution for the error messages you posted if you cannot fix NTFS from Windows.​
                Will this erase or alter data already in usb ext disk?

Comment

brianharr: So your external USB drive is NTFS?

Again - if yes: Try fixing NTFS drives from Windows first and if this does not work one can see
                  man ntfsfix in Konsole to get the manual pages for ntfsfix.

Then decide if you want to use ntfsfix in Linux for a NTFS volume and if you want to use the command I posted.

I did't say that it could not be Dolphin/kio problem or bug - the above could be just one possible solution.
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 30, 2024, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Do you have ntfs support installed? It's not installed by default.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Do you have ntfs support installed? It's not installed by default.
                      I can't figure out how to do this. Is there a CLI command?

Comment

The package is ntfs-3g. It should have been installed by default.

Code:
                        sudo apt install ntfs-3g

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello

Another update from me. I had a friend give me a NTFS formatted drive and tried to mount it but it said wrong FS type again. So I tried booting up Linux mint and mounted it there with no problems.

Is there a command I could run here that could show any hints what is going on. I have to say with this version I have noticed mounting NTFS has way more unstable that previous lts

Comment

Did you check to see if ntfs-3g is installed?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              Did you check to see if ntfs-3g is installed?
                              Yes the relevant packages are installed

Comment

Working...
                              X