Sequential File Copying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sequential File Copying

I normally use my main desktop running Kubuntu 24.04 for various reasons including salvaging data from old/damaged hard drives for clients. On Windows, I could use TeraCopy to handle sequential file copying and I've noticed the same feature is built in with the file manager for Cinnamon under Linux Mint. However, such a feature is completely absent for Dolphin. So if I am copying say two folders with 100+ files and want to queue up another 4 or 5 folders from another source or even the same drive, Dolphin runs the file copy/move operation simultaneously. Now, not everyone is organised with where they save files, so imagine having to search throughout the drive, in my example, and hitting copy to/move to there will be not only slowdowns due to the increasing I/O operations, but also can lead to stress and other hard drive related issues. Is there a way to do so using Dolphin or must I look for another file manager that handles it fine?

If Dolphin can't handle it, are there other recommendations?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Not super clear to me why queuing a copy/move vs. simultaneous copy/move has anything to do with how files are "organized" or what that has to do with power failures, but unless you're going to get the source code and re-write Dolphin, I doubt you can replicate what you're asking. However, there's nothing stopping you from installing Nemo, which I believe is the default file manager for Cinnamon:

sudo apt-get install nemo

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Not super clear to me why queuing a copy/move vs. simultaneous copy/move has anything to do with how files are "organized" or what that has to do with power failures, but unless you're going to get the source code and re-write Dolphin, I doubt you can replicate what you're asking. However, there's nothing stopping you from installing Nemo, which I believe is the default file manager for Cinnamon:

sudo apt-get install nemo
      Did I mention anything about power failure? Not sure I did. My issue was the fact that when backing up data from old or damaged hard drives from client computers, it can be a resource hog with simultaneous move/copy operations when files aren't stored in an organized fashion. Documents, pictures, movies are stored all over the place (Drive C, Desktop, Pictures, etc) and I was referring to Windows drives. I rather use Linux to copy the files on these NTFS partitions to strip off the file permission settings that NTFS dirties files/folders with.

Thanks for the mention of Nemo, just found out it's the inbuilt file manager under Linux Mint.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Originally posted by Princey View Post
        Did I mention anything about power failure? Not sure I did.
        LOL, my bad - I read through it too fast obviously...

Thanks for the expanded description. I get what you mean - Windows anything is kind of a mess and add in that file system and I can understand the issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

Krusader

Comment

One more here for Krusader. I have been using this since a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Thanks Claydoh. That does exactly what I needed. I'll mark this thread solved.

Comment

Working...
              X