Strange Filezilla launch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Filezilla launch problem

Situation: I am returning to Kubuntu after an extended stay with Pop!_OS. Kubuntu is amazing, in comparison. So happy to be back. But I'm still trying to set up my usual work environment. Concerning Filezilla, I have two problems, and neither seems to be about Filezilla itself:

1. From backups, I had an installation of Filezilla in my dir "/home/tomc//programs". Installing Kubuntu, and restoring my user account from backups, I removed that Filezilla installation and the reference to it in the launch menu. I installed Filezilla from the Ubuntu packages. The launch menu now tries to launch it by calling "filezilla", which makes sense. But then I get this error message:

"Could not find the program /home/tomc/programs/filezilla3/bin/filezilla"

How can it be looking for the program where I manually installed it (but manually removed it), and how can this have been invoked by "filezilla"? I never ever set it up to launch by calling "filezilla", and it should NOT be looking in that directory!

How do I fix this?

2. When I launch Filezilla from the command line with /usr/bin/filezilla, it launches appropriately. Inserting that into the launch menu and trying to launch using that gets the error message above.

I am utterly baffled by this and don't know where to start in fixing it.

If you're launching from the Menu, edit the menu entry to "/usr/bin/filezilla", or are you saying that doesn't work?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for your response. All is well, now. I cannot say why, but in recent day I've been making a lot of changes, upgrades, etc., and most problems I had earlier are just gone. A good outcome, even if I cannot explain it more precisely!

Comment

The Gods of Linux move in mysterious ways, LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
          All is well, now. I cannot say why, but in recent day I've been making a lot of changes, upgrades, etc., and most problems I had earlier are just gone. A good outcome, even if I cannot explain it more precisely!
          I'm going to guess, that during your "making a lot of changes, upgrades, etc.,...", that you performed at least one reboot. That often cleans things up.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Possibly. At this point I don't recall. I'm very aware of the power of a mere reboot, and am glad it's an easily achieved first (and last!) response to many problems!

Comment

Working...
            X