Plasma (Wayland) vs Plasma (X11) niggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma (Wayland) vs Plasma (X11) niggles

I'm running 24.04 on my laptop and my desktop. Both are fully updated. My laptop is using Plasma (X11) as it doesn't handle Plasma (Wayland). My desktop is using Plasma (Wayland).

I'm starting this thread as a place to document niggles; behavioral differences of applications; observed when run under each.

I use Yakuake. It's installed and used daily on both PCs. My practice is to logout and sleep each PC when I walk away from my office.

Running under Plasma (Wayland), Yakuake actually terminates when I follow this procedure. I know this is happening, as when I wake my desktop PC and log back in, Yakuake is no longer in the System Tray, and the launch shortcut doesn't bring it up. I have to launch Yakuake anew. This isn't the case running under Plasma (X11).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I'm not seeing that issue(yet) but it might be related to "sleep" rather than power off which is what I do.

I have noticed in the last day or so that Yakuake has become laggy - both the cursor and initial window display when I activate it.

Please Read Me

Comment

• oshunluvr
      oshunluvr commented
      Editing a comment
      A reboot fixed it. I guess some package got updated and needed reloading. - it came back just now, sigh...
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 30, 2024, 08:13 AM.

Under Plasma Wayland, using Restart, for me,Yakuake acts the same as for Snowhog. I almost never shut down except for cleaning.

Edit: my reply may not be pertinent. I forgot I have Debian KDE installed.
    Last edited by notabug; Jun 29, 2024, 09:30 PM.
    Linux User #454271

Comment

I never had issues with Yakuake in Plasma 5 or Wayland, and definitely not any in Plasma 6. The retract/dropdown could be a little choppy in the 10 year old i3 laptop, but no lags. Probably the same in x11 considering the weak iGPU.

Comment

A small niggle for me would be the lack of session restore. I don't terribly care about it myself, but it does not work,
        It now does work ok-ish in Plasma 6.1

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I use Yakuake. It's installed and used daily on both PCs. My practice is to logout and sleep each PC when I walk away from my office.

Running under Plasma (Wayland), Yakuake actually terminates when I follow this procedure. I know this is happening, as when I wake my desktop PC and log back in, Yakuake is no longer in the System Tray, and the launch shortcut doesn't bring it up. I have to launch Yakuake anew. This isn't the case running under Plasma (X11).

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          A small niggle for me would be the lack of session restore.
          Derp derp derpity derp.
          2+2=4
          I did just answer you over at KDE's Discuss.

x11 has desktop session restore. This doesn't work under Wayland in Plasma 5, this is well known.
          I have always added an autostart entry in System Settings for yakuake since it used to not be restored at login for me reliably back in the olden times, possibly as far back as KDE 4. Muscle memory.

This does work now in Wayland on Plasma 6.1, at least mostly more or less. Yakuake definitely runs at login for me without an autostart entry.
          Last edited by claydoh; Jul 05, 2024, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I did just answer you over at KDE's Discuss.
            Saw that. Thank you for the information. Nice to know the ‘why’.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's a different one...

I was experiencing occasional, probably random flickering on X11 (24.04, KDE 5.27.11, kernel 6.8.0-36-generic (64-bit), Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 520). I tried live CD sessions of Debian (Plasma 5) and OpenSUSE (Plasma 6), both on X11, and I did not experience the flickering. I wasn't sure if this pointed to a kernel issue (all 3 are different), plasma version issue, or X11 vs Wayland issue. So, as Wayland is omitted by default, as a first step I installed it on Kubuntu, and as of now it appears the flickering has gone away, making it at least probable it's an X11 vs Wayland issue in my case.

Interestingly, I like to look at the oracular daily builds to see what's coming, and I noticed that Kubuntu is still on X11 as of a couple days ago but Ubuntu is on Wayland - granted, still fairly early in the development cycle so it could change. I'm hoping we'll still at least have the ability to self-install Wayland after upgrade to 24.10 - not sure if having a current Wayland session while upgrading affects that (meaning/hoping it would auto-install).

Comment

Originally posted by pknox View Post
                I'm hoping we'll still at least have the ability to self-install Wayland after upgrade to 24.10 - not sure if having a current Wayland session while upgrading affects that (meaning/hoping it would auto-install).
                That has always been an option. It is just a different login session, really. I am not sure why it isn't installed by default even in 24.04 - it doesn't replace x11, it just adds the login option for it. Having it installed will have no effect on updates or upgrades to the next release.

Comment

That has always been an option. It is just a different login session, really. I am not sure why it isn't installed by default even in 24.04 - it doesn't replace x11, it just adds the login option for it. Having it installed will have no effect on updates or upgrades to the next release.
                  That's exactly what I was hoping as far as the updates, and totally agree it should have been included (or at least explained why it wasn't). Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X