Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Programatic control "Screen Energy Saving" dbus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programatic control "Screen Energy Saving" dbus??

I am looking to add some controls to a startup script for a program that will

DISABLE Screen Energy Saving when the program starts
    RE-ENABLE Screen Energy Saving when the sprogram shutsdown.

dbus

via qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement ?

I am not a dbus guru, and what I am finding in searches is well, not really outlining how to use this to DISABLE/RE-ENABLE this as I want..

Basically the BASH script would

qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement (DISABLE SCREEN ENERGY SAVING)
    /me/program/Program
    qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement (RE-ENABLE SCREEN ENERGY SAVING)

I don't mind the screen dimming, whille this runs, but manually changing this setting each time is well so wrong.

Any pointers to do this? dbus? Something else?

Thanks!

(I presume you know about exploring the dbus with qdbus.)

Perhaps
    Code:
    qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.Inhibit "my purpose" "my reason"  
    # sometime later
    qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.UnInhibit 12482
    I didn't check whether that had any effect.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      (I presume you know about exploring the dbus with qdbus.).
      Umm... "I am not a dbus guru," so, Nope.

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Perhaps
      Code:
      qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.Inhibit "my purpose" "my reason"
      # sometime later
      qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.UnInhibit 12482
      I didn't check whether that had any effect.
      Thanks I will look at that to see.

What I am looking for is something that explains..

ie: here is a list of settings available via dbus, and an index which has "Screen Energy Saving" and there are the settings for on/off.

Simple easy peasy stuff spell it out. Don't be like ALSA which has documentation like you are some how the creator of all sounds of the universe.

Comment

I said
        I presume you know about exploring the dbus with qdbus.
        Originally posted by rec9140 View Post
        Umm... "I am not a dbus guru," so, Nope.
        I imagine very few people are dbus gurus, I certainly am not, but anyone one can explore. I'll relate the process I went through.

One can start, in a konsole, by running just qdbus. That lists all the services listening on the dbus. Then one picks a service that might be what you want, and runs qdbus giving that service; in this case I thought org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver might be interesting, so I ran
        Code:
        qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver
        That lists the "paths" that service supports; the most interesting one is often similar to the service, with "/" separators instead of ".". So then I ran
        Code:
        qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver
        That lists the methods for that service and path, and gives some idea of the parameters each service might take. The Inhibit method output a number when I ran it, and the UnInhibit method takes a "uint cookie" (presumably a uint is an unsigned integer), so I guessed the number output is the cookie I should use.

Rather than the command line tool qdbus, one can use the GUI qdbusviewer (in the APT package qttools5-dev-tools). Point and click, but its listing of the methods doesn't show the parameters until you click on the method, so I find it slower to work with.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X