Application window reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application window reduction

Since I installed version 24.04, double-clicking on the top of the applications (such as the browser) makes the window smaller or larger. This is something VERY ANNOYING when you use a browser like Vivaldi that closes the tabs by double clicking on them. When I double click, if I don't do it exaclty on the tab and I click on the edge, the explorer window shrinks and I have to double click again to put it in full screen...

I have found how to disable that double click in the desktop windows, but it still happens in browsers, Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera, Firefox... I have figured out how to disable that double click on desktop windows, but it still happens in browsers, Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera, Firefox... This has me very burned...​​​
    Last edited by jose1977; Jun 24, 2024, 09:00 AM.

Double clicking on an application titlebar to maximize/un-maximize a window is a long time KDE feature.

It can be disabled:
    System Settings > Window Management > Window Behavior > Titlebar Actions tab > Double-click > [do nothing]

Comment

That is precisely what I am trying to explain in the previous comment. That "do nothing" option is already set. But internet browser windows (only internet browsers) continue to run it. It does not happen with any other application nor with folder windows.

Comment

Vivaldi for me doesn't honor the "do nothing" setting either, but double-clicking on a tab does nothing. This on Kubuntu 24.04 and Vivaldi version 6.8.3381.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

IIUC, browsers have to emulate chrome by having no title bar, and put the tabs there instead, generating a fake title bar. I really don't like the tabs being separated from their pages, and with firefox I use preferences and userChrome.css trickery to get firefox to have a normal window title and frame, with tabs below the menu and bookmarks bars.

Perhaps vivaldi has preferences that will let you have a normal title bar.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I've been using Kubuntu for years and have never had this problem. Vivaldi has the option to remove the top space and stick the tabs on top to save space. He has always done well except with 24.04. At first I thought it was vivaldi's problem but then I saw that all other browsers also had a similar problem. So it must be something from this version.
            Vivaldi has an option (very very convenient) that closes the tabs with a double click, but since there is now a 1mm "space" at the top, if you don't calculate correctly you make a false click and the size of the browser is reduced, which which you will have to maximize again and try to do it correctly. It's very very annoying.​

Comment

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/7308...sing-the-tab/9
              https://tips.vivaldi.net/tip-477/

Not new, really, and it could well be a bug related to the chromium version Vivaldi uses, or something in their heavy UI mods in a recent update. That 1mm space doesn't sound like something from Plasma, but a screen grab might help determine that, for those of us who don't use Vivaldi. It might be possible to remove that.

I've been using double clicking an empty space on the tab bar to maximize on chrome and Firefox since they removed titlebars and added the ability.

Comment

Enable system toolbars. It should be similar to chrome as shown on this Kubuntu Focus guide, 4th paragraph down.

Comment

Ya, but that add useless space, for some to many.

In Firefox one can remove that space above by enabling a 'compact' mode.

And I imagine there are css hacks to do this on Vivaldi's massively modded chromium UI.
                  https://forum.vivaldi.net/search?term=Spacing%20Above%20Tabs%20&in=titlespos ts
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 24, 2024, 05:34 AM.

Comment

I know that it is a problem with Kubuntu 24.04 (and not Vivaldi) because before updating from 23.10 to 24.04 it did not happen. I updated and that happened. Then I thought it had been an error or bug in the update, I decided to do a clean installation, my surprise was to see how when installing vivaldi (the same version) it also happens

Comment

Working...
                    X