Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody managed to get all notification sounds working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Has anybody managed to get all notification sounds working?

I’m using Kubuntu 24.04 with Plasma 5.27.11 and I’m trying to get notification sounds working. Some work, others don’t.

For example, this works properly:
    • Login plays the specified sound, so that’s OK
    • Incoming email will show a pop-up and does play the sound that is specified in “Notification” (OK)

But:
    • I cannot get the emptying trash sound to work.
    • Push notifications coming from my browsers (Firefox or Brave) show the pop-up, but I cannot get the sounds to work

See here my settings in Plasma:

An easy way to test browser push notifications is here: https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html
    So the notification text box appears, but without sound.
    The sound of these notifications work on my other installs (e.d. Mint Cinnamon, Windows 10, etc)

I hope you guys can help me to get this working!

Welcome to KFN.

No problems with my 24.04. What Global Theme are you using? The default, or something else? Is this a fresh installation, or an upgrade from ...?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Welcome to KFN.

No problems with my 24.04. What Global Theme are you using? The default, or something else? Is this a fresh installation, or an upgrade from ...?
      It's the default theme on a fresh install.
      It is weird that some sounds work (like startup sound) and others (like garbage bin, browser push notifications) don't. So I may be overlooking something, but I spent ages already trying to find out what is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
        It is weird that some sounds work (like startup sound) and others (like garbage bin, browser push notifications) don't.
        The sound when emptying Trash also doesn't play here, but testing it does. I don't think it's you (or me). It's likely the widget(s) themselves that have an issue, but that's just a guess.

Comment

The sound when emptying Trash also doesn't play here, but testing it does. I don't think it's you (or me). It's likely the widget(s) themselves that have an issue, but that's just a guess.
          OK, that is consistent then. For me the sound also plays when testing it in the settings menu, but not when I actually empty my thrash.

What about the browser push notifications? Do they have sound on your system? (You can easily test them here: https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html ). These are important for me, but I cannot get them working with sound on my system! (But the text pop up does show).

Comment

(You can easily test them here: https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html )
            That site doesn't work for me, at least not with my browser (Firefox). It indicates 'Notification #1 queued for display' then 'Notification #1 errored'

I don't use/need/require browser notifications anyway.

Oops! Nevermind! I had to click on the Authorize button first. So, yes, I receive a pop-up notification in the System Tray, but not the sound (I did check that option and selected a sound file from the list).
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 15, 2024, 09:49 AM.

Comment

That site doesn't work for me, at least not with my browser (Firefox). It indicates 'Notification #1 queued for display' then 'Notification #1 errored'

I don't use/need/require browser notifications anyway.
              So for you things are worse than for me! On my system, both Firefox and Brave show the notification text box without errors, but without sound. That is my only problem.

Comment

So for you things are worse than for me! On my system, both Firefox and Brave show the notification text box without errors, but without sound. That is my only problem.
                See my previous post (edited).

Comment

I cannot get the "A lock key has been deactivated" sound notification to work at all. However, I think it may be partially due to the audio lag I experience with notifcations.

Please Read Me

Comment

I stopped bothering about notification sounds some time ago. Always after a version upgrade or even a fresh install they would stop working for whatever reason. Sometimes it's simply because they get disactivated but others they just don't work. This only happens on my Kubuntu desktop. I have been running Tumbleweed and Fedora installs that do not have this problem.
                    Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                    Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                    Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Seems that Halcyon had his question answered on discuss.kde.org. See this thread and scroll down to the answer given by guss77.

Comment

To bad that doesn't explain why things like the Lock key toggle no longer produces a sound.

Please Read Me

Comment

Seems that Halcyon had his question answered on discuss.kde.org. See this thread and scroll down to the answer given by guss77.
                          Yes, he has clarified things for me. The missing sound of the wastebin is a bug, but the missing sound from browser notifications is by design.

I now have browser sound notifications working, plus nicer popups, by using dunst. I'm going to experiment a bit more with this, but I already have what I was looking for.

Btw: wastebin sound cannot be fixed using dunst, since that one isn't generating a notification at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X