No announcement yet.

Was there ever a Switch User option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Was there ever a Switch User option?

Didn't there used to be a Switch User option in SDDM?

We can create additional users on our system, but I don't see/haven't found any way to 'switch users' from a logged in session.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    Didn't there used to be a Switch User option in SDDM?

We can create additional users on our system, but I don't see/haven't found any way to 'switch users' from a logged in session.
    If you are logged in then it is down in the Leave option the < beside the Sleep, Restart, Shutdown on the Menu pop-up where you can also choose to use the Logout or Lock items. When you are at the SDDM screen you are already logged out and get to choose the user you wish to log in as from that list of users.

Comment

Doh! Hiding in plain sight. Thank you!

The only irritation (for me at least), is that in order to see this option when the current user session is 'active', you have to manually lock the current active session and move the mouse or press a key. IMO, it would be more aesthetically pleasing to just have a Switch User button along with the Log Out, Restart, and Shut Down buttons. Would also be a more intuitive approach. My opinion.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 07, 2024, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I think it depends also on what SDDM theme you are using. Here, I see three User icons that are selectable and it defaults to the last user that logged on.

Please Read Me

Comment

Doh! Hiding in plain sight. Thank you!

Would also be a more intuitive approach. My opinion.
          You are welcome, I would agree they all should be available and not have a split option for the common tasks they are in that part of the menus. Something like a the power button you see, where all of those items are in the list when you select it.

Comment

order to see this option when the current user session is 'active', you have to manually lock the current active session and move the mouse or press a key. IMO, it would be more aesthetically pleasing to just have a Switch User button along with the Log Out, Restart, and Shut Down buttons. Would also be a more intuitive approach. My opinion.
            Originally posted by RedGreen925 View Post
            I would agree they all should be available and not have a split option for the common tasks they are in that part of the menus
            Lookee here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240607_190525.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	680399

I never have had to lock a session in order to switch users.
            There is a stock Plasma widget for fast switching, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              There is a stock Plasma widget for fast switching, as well.
              Widget name: User Switcher

Okay, that will/does work.

Your image of Application Launcher Settings. I have no idea what that is. Searching within Settings doesn't identify this.

Comment

Right click on the application menu icon -- Configure Application Menu.
                Way back in the day, iirc it was found elsewhere, but it has been here for a while now,
                Yes, the above shot is from Plasma 6, but Plasma 5 is almost completely identical:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240607_210619.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	680403
                Last edited by claydoh; Jun 07, 2024, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Right click on the application menu icon -- Configure Application Menu.
                  Ah. Well, I don't use the Application Menu. I use the alternate Application Dashboard, and there, this option doesn't exist. No matter. At least I know it does exist, and given my preference for the Application Dashboard, using the User Switcher widget is fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X