Regards, John Little

Comment

That looks like software-properties. To could try
      Of course, this is the console output to your commands:

Code:
      julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$ sudo -i
      [sudo] contraseña para julio-cesar:    
      root@mi-equipo:~# software-properties-qt
      QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
      root@mi-equipo:~#
      And that opened the attached screenshot window.

I can open "software-properties" from its launcher, and I can also open the driver manager from the console. The problem is that when I open certain applications such as "Grub Customizer" from its launcher, or the driver manager from the system preferences, the dialog window where it asks for the password gives an error of "The conversation with "su" has failed" as shown in the screenshot of my first message in this thread.
      Thanks and regards...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Supersayano; Jun 04, 2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Sorry, now I get it... "The problem is that when I open certain applications ... the dialog window where it asks for the password gives an error".

I suggest check for environment variables that may be affecting su. Also, the su man page refers to some files, perhaps they have been changed; however, I don't know a good way to check them.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

How are these environment variables verified?.

Well, it seems like I have an unsolvable problem. This was my last letter, so I guess if no one here can help me no one will.
          Thank you all for your help and greetings...

Comment

Wasn't offered, and we didn't ask, but is this happening on a 'new' installation of Kubuntu 24.04, or an upgrade from an earlier version of Kubuntu?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is a fresh installation of Kubuntu 24.04. I previously had 18.04 for many years, but that was on another computer.

During the first days since its installation this problem did not exist, and it was one day when it suddenly started to happen and I don't know why.
              Greetings...

Comment

At anytime after the new installation, when this issue wasn't happening, did you launch any GUI application (and use it) from the CLI using sudo?

Comment

I'm not sure, but i think so. Thinking a little, I think it was almost certainly Kate, although I don't even remember why I did it. Or maybe it was Dolphin, I don't really remember, but it's possible.
                  Greetings...
                  Last edited by Supersayano; Jun 05, 2024, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Open Konsole. Verify you are in your users home directory (you should be). Type: ls -la * | grep root and press Enter. You should get nothing returned; just your prompt. But if you do, copy the output and paste it here in your reply.

Comment

This is what the console returns to that command:

Code:
                      julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$ ls -la * | grep root
                      -rwsr-xr-x  1 root        root            50672 abr 28  2022 chrome-sandbox
                      julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$
                      Greetings...

Comment

So one item in your users home directory is owned by root. No files or folders inside ones home directory should be owned by root. Are you using Chrome as your browser?

As nothing in ones home directory should be owned by root, let's change that ownership. In the konsole, and still in your home directory, type: sudo chown julio-cesar:julio-cesar chrome-sandbox and press Enter.

Comment

I do use the Chrome browser, although my main browser is Firefox.
                          In the user folder there is no directory called chrome-sandbox.
                          This is the console output to your command:

Code:
                          julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$ sudo chown julio-cesar:julio-cesar chrome-sandbox
                          [sudo] contraseña para julio-cesar:     
                          chown: no se puede acceder a 'chrome-sandbox': No existe el archivo o el directorio
                          Greetings...

Comment

The output in post #25 says otherwise. When you open Konsole, you should be in your users home directory. In the konsole, type: pwd and press Enter. Do you get /home/julio-cesar as the output? If 'yes', then type: ls -la and press Enter. Copy and paste it here in your reply.

Comment

Please believe me when I tell you that such a directory does not exist.

Code:
                              julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$ pwd
                              /home/julio-cesar
                              julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$ ls -la
                              total 892
                              drwxr-x--- 54 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:14  .
                              drwxr-xr-x  3 root        root          4096 may  8 16:54  ..
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 20 21:14  .adobe
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 12 01:41  .afirma
                              drwxrwxr-x 10 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  3 12:36  AIMP
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  6  2023  .anydesk
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    102 may 10 03:39  .apport-ignore.xml
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 18:47  Avidemux
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:14  .avidemux6
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 30 14:42  balenaEtcher
                              -rw-------  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar   3099 jun  5 18:57  .bash_history
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    220 mar 31 10:41  .bash_logout
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar   3771 mar 31 10:41  .bashrc
                              drwxrwxr-x 57 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:14  .cache
                              drwxrwxr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 ago 20  2023  Cloudflare
                              drwx------ 51 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:14  .config
                              drwx------  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  3 13:22  .dbus
                              drwxrwxr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 abr 28  2022  Deemix
                              -rw-------  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    102 may 19 00:11  .directory
                              drwxr-xr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 18:57  Escritorio
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar  23910 abr 19 21:30  .face
                              lrwxrwxrwx  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar      5 abr 19 21:30  .face.icon -> .face
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 24 13:42  .filezilla
                              drwxrwxr-x  7 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 14:10  firefox
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar  20480 mar 15 16:38  .fonts
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    529 may  8 22:27  .fonts.conf
                              drwxr-xr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 18:57  FreeFileSync
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 18:59  Gifcurry
                              drwxrwxr-x  5 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 12 02:35  GL-Z
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    278 jun  5 19:14  .gtkrc-2.0
                              drwx------  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  3 13:22  .gvfs
                              drwxr--r--  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 12 02:47  .hardinfo
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 29 20:35  iconos
                              drwxrwxr-x  8 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  8 19:54  .icons
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar     84 may 10 23:16  .install4j
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 ago  7  2023  JAP
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar  87092 may 12 03:01  .jap.conf
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 19:29  .java
                              drwxrwxr-x 17 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 22 12:58  jd2
                              -rw-------  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar     20 may 12 01:03  .lesshst
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 19:45  linux
                              drwxrwxr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 10 15:14  .local
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar     21 jun  1 15:13  .mediainfo-gui
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:00  MKVToolNix
                              drwxrwxr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 oct  3  2019  .mozilla
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  8 19:43  .mplayer
                              drwxrwxr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:02  MystiQ
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 18  2014  .nero
                              drwx------  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 20:36  .nv
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar   2470 jun  3 18:46  .nvidia-settings-rc
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 10 23:16  .oracle_jre_usage
                              drwx------  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 19:13  .pki
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    807 mar 31 10:41  .profile
                              drwx------  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 10 16:13  .putty
                              drwxrwxr-x 15 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 sep 13  2023  .q3a
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:05  qBittorrent
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  3 14:59  .quake4
                              drwxr-xr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  3 13:37  quake4
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 12 03:38  Scripts
                              drwxrwxr-x  2 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 11 02:28 'Shutter Encoder'
                              drwx------  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 30 22:00  snap
                              drwxrwxr-x  5 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 26 23:19  .ssr
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar      0 may  8 17:26  .sudo_as_admin_successful
                              drwxrwxr-x  6 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun 13  2023  .thunderbird
                              drwxrwxr-x  7 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 13:55  thunderbird
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 19:44  .tor-browser
                              drwxr-xr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 06:24  .var
                              drwxrwxr-x  7 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may 20 13:08  Ventoy
                              drwxrwxr-x  3 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 may  9 19:44  .waterfox
                              -rw-rw-r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    221 may 16 17:46  .wget-hsts
                              drwxrwxr-x  4 julio-cesar julio-cesar   4096 jun  5 19:15  .wine
                              -rw-------  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar 503113 jun  5 19:14  .xsession-errors
                              -rw-r--r--  1 julio-cesar julio-cesar    604 may 12 19:48  .xtimidity
                              Greetings...

Comment

Since the directory did not exist and for you it seems so important that I created it myself. After entering the command:

Code:
                                sudo chown julio-cesar:julio-cesar chrome-sandbox
                                I then deleted said directory. And I re-entered the command:

Code:
                                ls -la * | grep root
                                And this is the console output of said command:

Code:
                                julio-cesar@mi-equipo:~$ ls -la * | grep root

Finally I restarted, but unfortunately the problem persists.
                                Greetings...

Comment

Working...
                                X