No announcement yet.

Two problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you click the sequence I suggested? It does not go to the firefox download site, it does the update there and then. If you have used that option, was it still slow? Even when firefox has given a new major version IIRC it was much quicker than the download site.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I answered this. No, that sequence isn't there. See post # 13.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
        I answered this. No, that sequence isn't there. See post # 13.
        Maybe show us what you see when opening the Menu>>Help (might need to scroll to see it) >>About?

Here is my tarball of version 124:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240611_211602-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	680510
        Then after it updated faster than I could grab a screenshot cuz I bee slowz:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240611_211643.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	680511
        And for reference using a natively packaged version, here is Fedora's on my laptop:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240611_211718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	680512

I am wondering if you may have multiple FF installed or something like that.
        The tarball for FF updates itself, 100% independently from the OS or any other related systems - apt/debs, snap, or flatpak.
        If yours is not auto-updating, then either your FF is broken, or it isn't the tar.bz2 thing. So we need to see what you have.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jun 11, 2024, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I'm working on this. I haven't succeeded in getting a screenshot of the pop-up notification that I need to update FF. (The attempts I've made have been too small to read.) But here is one of my current Menu>Help>About Firefox:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240613_092918.png
Views:	60
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	680549

Comment

I couldn't see how to add anything below that. I do still have the Snap version of FF, so that makes two versions. I'll keep thinking about this trying to figure out how to get you a picture of the pop-up notification.

Comment

I recently moved to KDE Neon. FireFox and Thunderbird have been my go to browser and email client for over ten years. Running FireFox was a nightmare of hangs and crashes. Thunderbird, which had one of the best autoconfigs of any app refused to connect to my mail and smtp services from my ISP. I have switched to Chromium as my browser and Betterbird as my email client. Zero problems with either one.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek and others, have you tried Brave, Opera, &/or SRWare Iron?

Comment

I can't get a screenshot of the FF update notice because the notice is is FF's foreground and when I call up Specticle, it becomes the foreground, and the notification goes away. But here is its content:

Comment

I'm working on this. I haven't succeeded in getting a screenshot of the pop-up notification that I need to update FF. (The attempts I've made have been too small to read.) But here is one of my current Menu>Help>About Firefox:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240613_092918.png
Views:	60
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	680549
                    That shows that firefox can't update itself, as it does for me and claydoh. So, I speculate that permissions don't allow it. The distributed firefox snap uses the snap machinery to update, and similarly the flatpak firefox. But, if you've used the tarball download and it is installed to /opt,

what are the ownership and permissions of /opt/firefox/*?

All my files in /opt/firefox are owned by my user, so when running firefox it can write there.

If it's not /opt, check the permissions where firefox has been installed. That will be wherever the firefox command is linked to.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Right-clicking the background in /opt>Permissions, yields "Only the owner can change permissions." Owner, Group, and Others all are blanked out. Below, it says User: root, Group: root.
                      I installed this FF fr. Moz. with Schwarzer Kater's script, merely following instructions blindly, knowing absolutely nothing about what was going on. But it worked ... until now. Now what?
                      I sure appreciate all your help. Your, this forum, are godsends for this nontechie but dedicated Kub. desktop user (two computers).

Comment

Now what?
                        Change the ownership (chown) of /opt/firefox and its contents from root to your username.

Code:
                        sudo chown -R your-username:your-username  /opt/firefox
                        Either the Dark Kitty's script was run using sudo (which is not necessary) or it inadvertently changed somehow. Which doesn't seem likely, peeking at the script contents. it does call for sudo for certain actions that need it, but not for copying files to /opt, so I do suspect the former happened here. In any case, it is easily fixed.

Comment

Whoo-ie, that appears to have worked. Does that mean that this Ff should automatically update itself now? I guess I'll see.
                          I believe I did use sudo in/through Schwarer Kater's script.

Comment

Yes, I imagine it will update itself now, but not at all sure.

The script will ask for the sudo password as needed, so it doesn't need to be run with it up front.

Comment

Per Schwarzer Kater 's README for the Firefox script, the only sudo references are for running
                              sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
                              prior to executing the script from the download location. Doing so results in proper ownership of FF in /opt/firefox.

RTFM
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

It worked. I haven't seen the update notification for about 24 hours, so I checked the Help>About page and saw a notification saying it had been updated and needed to be rebooted to register (whatever you call it) the updates. Here's the result:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240614_205103.png Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	680612
                                Thank you, claydoh, for knowing what to do and all the others for your help.

And now I've managed to download/install Ff fr. Moz. on the HP laptop and completely synchronize it with the tower-24.04's. It, too, works in all ways.
                                Last edited by RLynwood; Jun 15, 2024, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X