Steam issues (Ubuntu deb package)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam issues (Ubuntu deb package)

Enabling GPU acceleration decreases fps/ update rate to about 20-30 fps while CPU web renderer is a solid 60. (Nvidia GPU)
    Closing the app crashed KDE. Twice, un-reproducable due to no logging.
    Steam doesn't open a window on launch.

Counter Strike 2 doesn't give frame updates, ever, not even the very first one. Also the entire game engine probably bugged cause also no audio updates, just a frozen fullscreen window.

This is probably a "my setup is f'd and is missing system critical packages" more than a steam issue thats why i posted it here.

So far: reinstalled graphics driver
    Last edited by Capiosus; May 12, 2024, 10:47 PM.

Comment

One solution could be to use the Steam Flatpak - this way you won't have to care about "missing [or incompatible] system critical packages" and it should not matter if you use an Nvidia GPU or not.
      See How to enable Flatpak in Kubuntu 23.10.

Generally (I am not talking explicitly about Steam here): .deb files you find in the internet often work fine with the LTS versions of (K)ubuntu (like 22.04 LTS) but in some cases don't work flawlessly with the interim releases (like 23.10).
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 13, 2024, 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

thanks for the tip, I am trying flatpak now and it seems to be better, I will update the thread if i encounter more issues!

Comment

UPDATE: running steam with hardware acceleration is STILL very laggy (30 fps when scrolling around). It significantly increases the paint duration while interacting with the GUI, and sometimes crashes KDE when restarting the app.
          Counter Strike 2 started working again, but steam is still a mess.

EDIT: seems like discord is also affected, could be a chromium bug.
          Last edited by Capiosus; May 18, 2024, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X