User-Created Shares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] User-Created Shares

I've set up sharing (Samba) on my Laptop, but ended up creating two additional User-Created Shares (there are three). I only need/want one. How do I delete the unwanted shares? Samba Status shows:

Path: /home/paul
    Shared at: smb://maccat.local/Laptop

Shared at: smb://maccat.local/Paul's Laptop

Shared at: smb://maccat.local/Pauls-Laptop

I want to delete the first and last shares.

Added:

Found https://askubuntu.com/questions/1364...n-ubuntu-samba

You may have created shares through the file manager. Look at /var/lib/samba/usershares. You may have shares defined there.​
    Looked at /var/lib/samba/usershares and it contains the three entries. Is it as simple as deleting the two I don't want?

Added:

Appears so. I deleted the two I didn't want. I had to restart my laptop (maybe could have just logged out/in from the Desktop Session) before the other two stopped showing up.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 01, 2024, 12:12 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I think you could also possibly have deleted/disabled them in Dolphin's context menu --> Properties --> Share - depending on how you originally created those two user shares, of course.

Normally you don't need to reboot for such Samba changes (and logging out and in again probably would have done nothing anyway): a sudo service smbd reload should have been sufficient (if need be possibly followed by a sudo service nmbd reload ).

If this does not work for any reason, you can always sudo service smbd restart && sudo service nmbd restart - the long form of that would be sudo systemctl restart smbd.service && sudo systemctl restart nmbd.service

You don't have to restart the whole server when shares have changed.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 01, 2024, 01:48 PM. Reason: addition
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
    X