Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universal Keyboard remapping in Kubuntu (WordStarization)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Universal Keyboard remapping in Kubuntu (WordStarization)

In Kubuntu’s settings, I’ve swapped the Ctrl and the Caps Lock keys. Thank goodness Kubuntu simply lets you change it in settings. In Windows, you have to either edit the registry or install and extra program that does it. These commands make life easier for me when I’m writing in LO Writer. However, sometimes I write in other applications, in which case I really miss them. I have a word processor designed for writing stage plays or screenplays named Fade In, and I also have SoftMaker Office, which is similar to LibreOffice, except that it has some special features for writing in German that LO doesn’t have.

Both Fade In and SoftMaker are wonderful, but I miss those quick commands. In LibreOffice, I was able to put them in via LO’s macros and hot key system. Both Fade In and SoftMaker (Linux version) lack such features, but maybe there’s some kind of plug-in or other system that could do them directly in Kubuntu, thus making them available to all apps. I wouldn’t mind having them in apps like Kate as well.

These are my LO Writer hot keys:

Code:
    Ctrl+A = one word left (same as Ctrl+[left arrow]
    Ctrl+F = one word right (same as Ctrl+[right arrow]
    Ctrl+D = one character right
    Ctrl+S = one character left
    Ctrl+X = down one line (same as Ctrl+[down arrow]
    Ctrl+E = up one line (same as Ctrl+[up arrow]

Ctrl+Alt+] = to end of line (Same as End) (instead of WordStar's Ctrl+QD)

Ctrl+Alt+[ = to beginning of line (Same as End) (instead of WordStar's Ctrl+QS)
    If you’ve used computers for a while, you may recognize some of these as WordStar commands. I’ve made them work in LibreOffice by using the secondary hot key or by creating a new one to replace it. For example, Ctrl+A normally selects all text in LO Writer. Because I changed that hot key to move one word left, I can no longer use it to select all text. No biggie. I just use the secondary LO Writer hot key, Alt+E,A. When I changed Ctrl+X to one line down, I could no longer use it to cut selected text. No problem. I assigned “cut” to Alt+X. Since I can no longer save a document with Ctrl+S, I use Alt+F,S.

For going to the end of the line, I chose Ctrl+] because I could not use the old WordStar command (Ctrl+QD) because LO Writer doesn’t allow you to assign hot key which is Ctrl+[2 letters] like MS Word does or used to. Same deal with Ctrl+QS. No big disaster. Ctrl+] and Ctrl+[ are working out fine for me.

If anyone knows anything about how I might add these keyboard remaps to Kubuntu universally, I would really appreciate a heads up. I’ve googled for things like “universal Linux macros” and “keyboard remapping,” and some info came up, but there are a lot of other things those search terms apply to. It’s information overload at this point.

For all I know, someone out in the Linux community may already be doing this. You do, of course, need to be careful with macros, even on a Linux computer. Some criminals have exploited MS Word’s macros, and probably macros in other apps, to do their nefarious needs. It’s therefore of paramount importance to only use something trustworthy.

And maybe someone out there is a fellow “Lost Star” (a former WordStar user).
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================
Working...
X