Virtualbox broken on kernel 5.15.0-116-generic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtualbox broken on kernel 5.15.0-116-generic

The title says it all. I can't bring up any VM in virtualbox. All VMs start and virtualbox pops up an error message saying an error has occurred and recommending that the VM be shut down. If I ignore the error message, the error message continues to pop up until I agree to shut down the VM. I thought it might be a problem with the virtualbox kernel module not being built by dkms so I rebooted into an older kernel, 5.15.0.113, and virtualbox worked fine on all my VMs. I can only assume this is a bug with the most recent kernel update and the virtualbox kernel module was not built when the new kernel was installed. Anyone else having issues?

I don't remember running VirtualBox while I had 5.15.0-116-generic
    Currently​ the kernel is 5.15.0-117-generic.
    Also, uninstall the VirtualBox that comes from Discover.
    I recommend to then open Muon, search for VirtualBox and make sure nothing is marked as install.
    Then, head on over to the official page, you can download a DEB file for Ubuntu 22.04. This will be the latest and greatest version.

It works for me. I ran Win 7 64 bit, Kubuntu 18.04 and a bunch of other guest OSes.

Comment

Thanks for your response. At this point, however, I'll just wait a few weeks and upgrade to 24.04. Have it running on my other box after a fresh install and virtual box runs fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kilgoretrout View Post
        Thanks for your response. At this point, however, I'll just wait a few weeks and upgrade to 24.04. Have it running on my other box after a fresh install and virtual box runs fine.
        Still, I'd advise to go with the latest from virtualbox. Here's a link with a step by step how to.
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Working...
        X