Firefox doesn't show photo of an ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox doesn't show photo of an ad

At the very top of this page, I can't see the photo of the product I'm trying to view:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfor...0466/314479963

All I see are greyed-out rectangles.
    If I reload the page, for 1 second I can see the product photo, and then it goes to grey-out.
    The rest of the page reads normally, including photos and illustrations.

Is this a Firefox setting issue, like "exceptions to ad blocking" or some-such?
    First time I ever encountered this (or any issue) at the Home Depot website.

I have the standard Firefox that comes with 22.04. 127.0.2, Snap.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

This same exact thing happened to me two weeks ago and I was using my Kubuntu Thinkpad T16 Gen1 laptop while using the Thorium browser. I tried the Firefox browser next with the same results. I just tried the URL you posted just now and got the same results. I’ve had this happen to me before.

After that I fired up my Windows 11 computer and ran my Google Chrome browser without any problems. I have yet to figure this one out but if you find a solution please post and I will do likewise. Cheers!

Comment

In both, FF 127.0 and 128.0b9 (Firefox Developer Edition), I see the image just fine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 2.05.48 PM.png
Views:	46
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	681102
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What I see if I DON"T sign - in to HD first (in FF), and just paste the link, I get empty spaces - as you describe. But, if I sign-in first, pasting the link shows everything just fine.

Chrome, no issues.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I didn’t sign in to HD.

Comment

I'm on hold b/c when I try to sign in at HD I get this: "We're sorry. There was a temporary technical issue. Please try again later."
            Probably maintenance.

I did try Chromium, Version 126.0.6478.126 (Official Build) snap (64-bit) --
            No problem. (I didn't have to sign in.)

The problem persists in Firefox, and I'm waiting to sign in to see if that changes anything ...
            Thanks for your responses so far.
            Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 09, 2024, 07:41 PM.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I got one pf those error messages, too. Had to dance around a bit, but eventually got past the error message.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

No report yet, because ...
                I still can't sign in to Home depot .com.
                And the same/similar problem exists at Lowe's .com!
                I tried 'everything' -- log in/out, delete cache/cookies, reset p/w ...
                => Except, again, at Lowe's the problem does not exist if I use Chromium.
                => The problem does not exist at Home Depot if I use Chromium.

Have 'They' screwed up Firefox/Snap?
                (I don't care to customize by installing a non-snap FX, btw, don't have time/enthusiasm to maintain anything extra here.)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Have 'They' screwed up Firefox/Snap?
                  Well, not hear, as stated, with both the normal and developer versions of FF.

Comment

Well, not hear, as stated, with both the normal and developer versions of FF.
                    Interesting. Good to know. What a mystery.
                    Especially as I had shopped at both in the recent past, making good purchases -- no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Are you using any FF extensions and/or plugins?

Comment

FF extensions and/or plugins? -- Not that I know of.
                        I see two just plug-ins automatically installed by FX:
                        -- OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc.
                        -- Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc.

Comment

It's late now, but briefly poking around, there's a fair amoun t of such symptoms showing up here and there. Not sure yet what the patterns are, of the fixes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/com...tos_dont_work/

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/com...ble_with_home/

Several others came from a simple, not-perfect search string: "In Firefox Kubuntu, I can no longer log in to Home Depot"

Maybe something about ad-blocking or tracking.
                          Late now, time to forgetaboutit.

Comment

Well now! This morning; just a minute or two ago; I tried your link in post #1 above using Firefox Developer Edition (129.0b2) running on my iMac. The images don't show, just grey boxes as you are seeing. I do see them briefly as the page is loading, then just the grey boxes are shown. All other images on the page display, until you click on them, then the same behavior; a brief view of the item, then just a grey box.

This doesn't happen when viewing the same URL in both Firefoxes running on my Kubuntu 24.04 PCs.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 11, 2024, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Your description in post 14 is almost verbatim what people are reporting elsewhere.

On trying to log in, I get messages like

We’ve run into a technical issue. Please try again later.​

You know, I always dealt in cash, whatever the amount, for a box of cereal a new TV or even a car.
                              You know, like those paper bills people used to carry labelled 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100. Then I started using the credit card to rack up points to spend at Amazon.
                              Always did business face to face. No Internet.
                              Think it might be a good time with Lowes and Home Depot to go back to my original M.O.!
                              I've spent a good 3 hrs trying to fix log-ins! on chats, experimenting, trying this, trying that.
                              Kind of crazy!

Comment

Working...
                              X