Chrome and xdg-open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome and xdg-open

In the last couple of days, something weird has happened to my Chrome. When I type in a search, I get a pop saying that xdg-open wants to open a site. Clicking on the prompt generates:

Error -- KIO Client

google:baseURL%7D/search?udm=14&q=xdg-open

I understand some of the words individually ("error," "client," etc.) but the message is a mystery to me. It has made Chrome's search function essentially useless. Can I disable xdg? Uninstall it? Housebreak it?

Thanks.

This is a few years old, but maybe helpful? https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-chrome-doesnt
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog. I had seen that, but understanding it is way above my pay grade. Would uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome have any chance of resolving the problem?

Comment

Well, doing so won't hurt, but I would first start by creating a new user and logging in to it and seeing if the behavior with Chrome and that user are as expected.

Comment

This is more than a bit bizarre. I created a new user, logged in, and had no problem with Chrome, which suggested that there is something amiss in my user profile. Then I logged out and went back to me. Now I am not having the Chrome problem any more. Perhaps Chrome just needed a break from me (as so many have in the past).

Thanks for the help. I feel like a whole new person.

Comment

Linux. It’s like magic!

Comment

Working...
            X