Oracle Virtual Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle Virtual Box

Is there an OVB expert in the house? I know Dibl is, because he helped me more than a decade ago, but I don't know how to get in touch with him. I'm going to switch from VMware (because Broadcom's support is so poor) to OVB, and it would be good to have someone warn me about the pitfalls. Thanks.

No expert, but I had been using it for work on several user's systems (Windows 7 in VirtualBox on Kubuntu ) for some years and am currently using it at home on Apple Mac, Linux and Windows hosts for about three dozen guest systems.

The documentation is quite good - all I can say so far is that EFI does not always work for every guest system and it crashes my Latte Dock on the Kubuntu 24.04 hosts from time to time…

I would advise you to at least additionally install the matching Extension Pack for the version you use - the one from the *Ubuntu repos is currently 7.0.16.
    Depending what you want to do it could be necessary to install the matching Guest Additions within the VMs.
    You can find both here: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.16
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 23, 2024, 05:47 PM. Reason: added link
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      I’d avoid the 7 series, as from my reads, that version is primarily for Windows users. I’m using/sticking with the 6.1 versions.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The support for VirtualBox 6.1.x ended in January '24… Sooner or later the current Linux kernels will not work anymore with the 6.1.x versions (AFAIK the last officially supported Linux kernel is 6.6.x - 6.8.x does work at the moment, though).
        No problems at all here with VirtualBox 7.x (Kubuntu, Debian, TUXEDO OS, openSUSE, macOS and Windows hosts) - what exactly did you read?
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 23, 2024, 06:25 PM. Reason: typo
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
        X