X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin and Samba share

Hello,
    I'm a technology teacher in a French middle School and one of the IT managers. We now have 64 computers under Kubuntu that can connect to a Windows server that I don't manage. I've a big problem with Dolphin : First it does not display the mounted share place and I have to add a bookmark. but when the server is not connected, of course when we click on the bookmark we get an error. This is normal but something else is not : This file explorer can copy files from the server to the desktop but when we want to copy file from the desktop to the server, it says there is no place enough to write the file. So I tried Nemo file explorer and I'm very disappointed because Nemo can copy file to the server but when I want to copy a file from the server to the desktop, it ask a password ! The only file manager that work is nautilus but it has a very bad integration on KDE (no windows border, etc...). So please can someone give me a solution ? Thanks for your help.

P.S : To connect the server I wrote a python program that use a script with the command gio mount smb://**** and the share folder place is located in /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=****

Hello and welcome!

Did you try using Dolphin with authentication in System Settings -> Network -> Settings -> Windows Shares instead of your script?

PS: Which Plasma/Frameworks/Gear versions do you use on the clients?
    Because you could also get newer Dolphin (Gear) and Frameworks versions for Kubuntu 22.04 from the Kubuntu Backports (https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...s_filter=jammy ) if these are the culprit. Perhaps worth a try on a test installation…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 03, 2023, 01:46 PM. Reason: added PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Oh, and if this could give you some hope: I cannot remember having any problems with Dolphin and Samba shares, neither in situations when scripts connected them (however simple Bash, not Python ) nor in situations when I let Plasma do the connecting for me.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I can't use Dolphin with authentication​ since the students must enter their password and there is one per classroom. The solution you gave me is useful for one login and password. That's why I made a python program to generate a script to connect the computer to access the share folder of each classroom. The distribution I use for my own computer is Kubuntu but for the school computers, I've tried KDE Neon which is more up to date. So yet I still have this problem and no solution.

Comment

Working...
        X