Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ffmpeg : Depends: libavcodec58 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1)
    Depends: libavdevice58 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) but 7:4.4.3-0ubuntu1~22.04.sav2 is to be installed
    Depends: libavfilter7 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1)
    Depends: libavformat58 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1)
    Depends: libavutil56 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) but 7:4.4.3-0ubuntu1~22.04.sav2 is to be installed
    Depends: libpostproc55 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) but 7:4.4.3-0ubuntu1~22.04.sav2 is to be installed
    Depends: libswresample3 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) but 7:4.4.3-0ubuntu1~22.04.sav2 is to be installed
    Depends: libswscale5 (= 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) but 7:4.4.3-0ubuntu1~22.04.sav2 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

uname -a
    Linux betlogbeast 5.15.0-67-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 22 14:14:39 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Probably because you added one or more of Rob Savoury's third party PPAs and installed something from there.

Best to take a look at his web page (https://launchpad.net/~savoury1) to find a possible solution with inter-dependencies.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Actually, it is because Rob Savoury has become a bit of a d***head.
      https://norden.social/@RobSavoury
      https://launchpad.net/~savoury1

UPDATE (24 Mar 2023): The PPAs at this Launchpad site are now moving to a subscriber only (those who have donated) system. Given how many people and businesses are using these PPAs that I've put thousands of hours of energy into creating, and given the tiny amount of donations from all those many people and businesses, it is now necessary for the sake of my survival to restrict access to the most popular software at these PPAs to supporters.

Comment

I don’t see his action as being d***headish. Time is money, and unless one is either Uber Rich, or genuinely altruistic, providing your time (and talents) ‘gratis’ for the benefit of others can last only so long. Free Software isn’t free. There is always a cost. It’s why I personally donate as I can to projects I use and find useful. That’s my .
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I don’t see his action as being d***headish. Time is money, and unless one is either Uber Rich, or genuinely altruistic, providing your time (and talents) ‘gratis’ for the benefit of others can last only so long. Free Software isn’t free. There is always a cost. It’s why I personally donate as I can to projects I use and find useful. That’s my .
          So do I, but a better method that doesn't break people's systems if they are not paying extra attention would be better. Even just (re)moving them or something.

I did say "a bit", though.
          it is not about money so much
          He has a LOT of PPAs, and sometimes the are broken, at least in my own experiences on a number of occasions over the years.
          Maybe he has too many, and can't mange them well enough.
          If more people donated, maybe he could spend more time.
          But if they are sometimes broken, why would people want to pay?
          A nasty circle.
          I also image a number will just reinstall (sigh), re-do things, have things break again, and blame *buntu, and move on.

But without more blatant advertising, no one even is aware of this change, until their systems break.
          or even be aware that he exists, and is asking for donations.
          Almost no one actually visits a PPA home page, let alone the team/personal page. They just find the url to add from an article from a year or two ago.
          People find broken apt dependencies and have no idea why.

Hopefully the clickbait/copypasta Linux news websites will catch wind of this after the regular news sites do, and the news will spread through the algorithms.

Comment

I was installing 22.04 on my video encoding PC, and copypasted the ppa from notes I wrote when I installed his ppa to my primary PC ~2 months ago. Seeing Discover's warning dialog I noticed that it would probably hose the OS, so I wanted to see how badly. Pretty badly. But no drama on that machine.
            However, anyone who had a -y in their (cough) easy to type apt update/upgrade script, or just assumed the GUI warning dialog was going to play nice on their primary machine... would have been a lot more unhappy when they next rebooted.

Also: Incorrectly trying to figure out where to seek help.
            Last edited by BETLOG; Mar 26, 2023, 10:03 AM.

Comment

For the next person having a similar issue:
              sudo aptitude install ffmpeg
              and in my case the second option it offered worked.

Comment

Working...
              X