Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Konsole how to see ALL the output?

A good example:
    sudo dmidecode

I can only see the end of the table (and several lines before the end); I can't see the very beginning of the table.
    Can't scroll up beyond the top of my Konsole screen.
    Tried everything I can SEE to try in the menus, trying to see ALL lines of output, trying to find settings on scrolling, etc.
    Saving to a text file doesn't work -- I just get a partial file, like what I see on my Konsole screen.

Strange thing is I don't recall ever noticing this problem before, for example with the dmidecode command which always generates tons of output.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Strange …
    Have you moved your $HOME/.config/konsolerc to another place and tried again with Konsole?
    Did you try another terminal emulator?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 23, 2023, 05:51 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Just now, I cut that file /.config/konsolerc and put it on my Desktop. Opened Konsole, ran sudo dmidecode, but I have the same problem.
      I don't even see anywhere to configure the lines seen, something like "unlimited" or whatever.
      What is the normal behavior of Konsole?

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'd like to get Konsole working.

Comment

There is a setting in:
          Edit current profile -> Scrolling -> Scrollback (default is 1000 IIRC)

But if you removed "konsolerc" (and quit Konsole before and restarted it afterwards) without success I don't think that changing this will do anything…
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 23, 2023, 06:13 PM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Edit current profile -> Scrolling -> Scrollback (default is 1000 IIRC)
            I don't even see that. WTH is going on here. Is Konsole no longer being maintained?

Comment

From the KDE Konsole page:

Feature Overview

X Terminal emulator
              Makes using the command line easier
              Use different profiles for different tasks
              Set scrollback limit and save contents to file
              Right-click on links to open in user's default web browser
              Open current path in user's file manager
              Translucent background available when desktop effects are enabled
              The unique value of the environmental variable SHELL_SESSION_ID persists across all desktop sessions​

Comment

There also is an "Adjust Scrollback" option if you right-click in the Konsole window (but this is only temporarily for the current session).
                I am out of ideas now…

PS: Kubuntu 22.04.2

Comment

There also is an "Adjust Scrollback" option if you right-click in the Konsole window (but this is only temporarily for the current session).
                  That works. It works also with 'copy to ...'
                  But you have to do it BEFORE issuing the command.
                  So, that might be OK in most 'normal' situations.
                  Thanks.

Comment

A simple way is just to run: sudo dmidecode >> dmidecode.txt

Then you can open the resulting dmidecode.txt file.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A simple way is just to run: sudo dmidecode >> dmidecode.txt
                      I tried that, but I got the truncated output again. It did copy to dmidecode.txt in my /home, but the 'front end' of the table was cut off.
                      Whatever it shows you seems to be limited to that scrollback limit, which is 1000 lines by default unless you use the tip in post 8 first before issuing the command.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        I tried that, but I got the truncated output again.
                        I'm not following. I piped the output to the file and compared the beginning of the file content to the output of sudo dmidecode | more and there was no truncation. Can you clarify?
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I open dmidecode.txt, I can only see the end of the table (and several lines before the end); I can't see the very beginning of the table; I can't see the line containing the command sudo dmidecode

Comment

My output only contained 1233 lines.

Comment

There are 2472 lines to the full output, from the command that is issued to the 'end of the table.'
                              Unless I do the tip in post 8, I only get 1233 lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X