Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Kubuntu/Ubuntu 22.04.1 fix the issues with Systemd-OOM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable --now systemd-oomd
    Code:
    sudo systemctl mask systemd-oomd
    Executing those commands on Ubuntu causes User space errors.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post

So why is it installed on vanilla Ubuntu desktop for? Or at least that's what I've heard/read.
      Probably because Gnome (and/or RedHat, rather) wants it as a default utility, perhaps? But of course Ubuntu gets all the online ire for some reason, despite being last to the party, lol.
      Or Ubuntu used a different configuration?
      I'll wager it is because Ubuntu, hated as it is, still has a much larger install base, particularly on the Desktop, where this may be revealing the issues with it more than server-land does.
      Last edited by claydoh; Jul 14, 2022, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I made it clear that the commands should not be run unless you have plenty of RAM, swap space, and are not suffering from user space errors. I also stated that if there are problems then the user should re-enable the service. If you do not benefit from an oom daemon, then you do not need it.
        Executing those commands on Ubuntu causes User space errors.
        Yes it can, especially if the system does not have appropriate swap space and RAM. If there is plenty of RAM, I have 32GB for example, and swap space, it would generally not be an issue. If it is causing user space errors, then the user should re-enable the systemd-oomd service to prevent the system from being in a non-responsive state. In a VM, it is probably better to keep the service on. On a system with sufficient RAM and swap space, it should not be a problem to disable the service. In other words, if you have a system that is likely to have out of memory problems, you might need the service. If you do not have these issues, then the service is unnecessary.
        It can be very helpful on a server that needs to stay responsive. It is very helpful on systems with insufficient RAM and/or swap space. Not every system requires an Out Of Memory manager. Also, there are alternative OOM daemons/OOM managers that the user can install besides systemd-oomd. EarlyOOM, for example, is available in the repos.
        Basically, if systemd-oomd is killing apps on the system frequently, you probably need more RAM (most likely) and possibly swap space (less likely). If that is not possible, you need to keep systemd-oomd enabled. Most people who do not need it will never even know it is running. The people who are having issues with it probably need it.
        Last edited by rab0171610; Jul 14, 2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X