Problem in creating a dual-boot system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem in creating a dual-boot system

Ubuntu 22.04 now is the only OS installed on my laptop. I want a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 16.04 installed alongside of 22.04. [If you’re wondering why, it’s because Ubuntu 16.04 should have the drivers I need to run my printer’s scanner.] I have created a bootable flash drive with Ubuntu 16.04 on it. I went into the BIOS and changed the boot sequence so that it first will look to the flash drive when it boots. I booted into 16.04, and I was expecting it to ask me, “Do you want to install Ubuntu 16.04?” I would have answered, “Yes.” Then I would expect it to ask me if I want to install it alongside Ubuntu 22.04. I would answer “Yes.” At that point, the installer presumably should begin. I was NOT asked if I wanted to install Ubuntu 16.04; so my question is: What’s the secret to getting the computer to ask me if I want to install Ubuntu 16.04?
    Last edited by wtb32141; Oct 22, 2023, 12:11 PM.

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
    and I was expecting it to ask me,
    So.....what do you actually see

Comment

personally, I might suggest using a virtual machine (Virtualbox, etc) for this purpose, and passing the printer to 16.04 that way. No rebooting to print

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231022_135627.png Views:	0 Size:	751.4 KB ID:	674633

I think that if the scanner worked in 16.04, there it should work in 22.04, SANE (the scanner backend fin Linux) wouldn't have dropped support for a working device, though one might need to install or edit something, depending on the specific scanner chipset.

Code:
      sudo sane-find-scanner
      if it is plugged in via USB. This will tell us the specific hardware it finds.

But actually, you probably need the hp-plugin, which can be installed using a gui tool, when running the command
      Code:
      hp-plugin
      Your scanner requires this proprietary plugin for scanning.

This iirc is supposed to be installed when the HPLIP setup wizard is run, which you'd have to do in 16.04 as well.

Last edited by claydoh; Oct 22, 2023, 12:19 PM.

Comment

The scanner worked perfectly under Ubuntu 16.04. Under Ubuntu 22.04, the scanner says, “Failed to scan. Cannot connect to scanner.” The printer-scanner is plugged into the wall socket, and the printer/scanner is plugged into a USB port on my laptop. The only reason I can think of for the “cannot connect to scanner” message is a missing driver; that’s why I’m trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 from the bootable flash drive.

The sane command gave this result: “found possible USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x3b2a [HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw]) at libusb:001:006

# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.”

It detected my printer/copier/scanner, for “HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw” is my printer/scanner. I know nil about “scanimage -L” and “the backend’s manpage”.

Comment

As I noted , you do need the plugin, I believe, based on that link I posted.

Run the command hp-plugin as it mentions, to open the GUI tool to install it.
          You might also consider installing the whole HPLIP-GUI suite, which I think runs this, or can run this when its setup wizard is configuring things.

This is just a suggestion for an available option, iirc you would have to install the plugin on a new 16.04 install as well fore the scanner to work.

Another option, as I mentioned, is to install 16.04 into a virtual machine with Virtualbox, which runs 16.04 from your running 22.04 OS. It is easier for some, since you don't need to reboot, but is a bit of extra work and configuration up front, passing the printer, and sharing directories between the OS and the VM.

As to the dual boot, we need more information to be able to determine what you problem with that is.
          What do you see, or what happens when booting the 16.04 installer? Which tool did you use to create the USB stick?

Comment

Claydoh, please pardon my delay in answering your last note to me. I fell backwards in my home at night (in the dark), and I cut the back of my head when I hit a table that’s beside my bed. I’m feeling better now. I ran the hp-plugin command; it tells me that GUI modules PyQt4 and PyQt5 are not installed. They are unavailable in Synaptic; so I must look elsewhere for them.

Comment

I hope you are OK!!!!!

It will be called python3-pyqt5 though it should be included in a Kubuntu 22.04 install already.
              22.04 would not be using anything related to python3-qt4, though 16.04 did.

Can you post the FULL error message, or at least a screenshot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231026_154228.png
Views:	146
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	674752

Comment

I am in 22.04. Here is the response I get when I run hp-login:

bb@bb-Precision-3520:~$ hp-plugin

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.12)
                Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
                This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
                This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
                under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.12)

warning: GUI Modules PyQt4 and PyQt5 are not installed
                error: hp-plugin requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Try using interactive (-i) mode.

​I tried the --qt3, and I got this result: "error: option --qt3 not recognized"

I then tried -i. I got this result: HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.12)

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

------------------------------------------
                | PLUG-IN INSTALLATION FOR HPLIP 3.21.12 |
                ------------------------------------------

Option Description
                ---------- --------------------------------------------------
                d Download plug-in from HP (recommended)
                p Specify a path to the plug-in (advanced)
                q Quit hp-plugin (skip installation)

Enter option (d=download*, p=specify path, q=quit) ?

If I enter "hp-plugin d", presumably it will download the plugin from HP.

Comment

Hm… Did you already try installing HPLIP version 3.23.8 (and go from there)? That is the most recent one.
                  See: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i...nting/gethplip
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

After reading your note, I ran my software updater. It did not change the version of HPLIP that's installed on my computer. I'm running Ubuntu 22.04. It shows HPLIP version 3.21.12+dfsg0-1 as installed and as the latest version. I have great confidence in you; so I wonder what's wrong with my software updater! I'll go to HP's site and see if I can find the latest version of HPLIP.

Comment

The difference would be that your version is packaged by Ubuntu and made available in their repositories and the other one is directly from HP.

… I just checked in 22.04: version 3.21.12 is the most recent one for 22.04 from Ubuntu - and there should be nothing wrong with it or your software updater.
                      In hindsight I would recommend to keep this version and try to download/install the plugin like suggested above.

All theory for me, by the way - I don't have any HP printers or scanners here…
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 26, 2023, 03:03 PM.
                      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I never would have thought of that.

Comment

I'll go to HP's site and see if I can find the latest version of HPLIP.
                          Oh my, that can be a decent undertaking.....

Option Description
                          ---------- --------------------------------------------------
                          d Download plug-in from HP (recommended)
                          p Specify a path to the plug-in (advanced)
                          q Quit hp-plugin (skip installation)

Enter option (d=download*, p=specify path, q=quit) ?

If I enter "hp-plugin d", presumably it will download the plugin from HP.
                          Yes, hitting 'd' at his prompt would do that. This is basically what the GUI would be asking you, and then doing.

What happens when you use Muon to try installing python3-pyqt5?
                          That package would allow the GUI to open, though it isn't necessary for the task at hand, as you can still install the plugin via this command-line process.

Installing the full HP printer suite may be useful as well, hplip-gui.
                          Upgrading the the latest version manually is not a terrible idea, but since it was working with the much older version to begin with, there really isn't a strong reason to try that up front, in my opinion.

Comment

You ask: "What happens when you use Muon to try installing python3-pyqt5?​"

My answer: I have no idea. I don't even know what Muon is, but I'll read about it tonight.

Comment

Muon is a graphical package manager that has been included with Kubuntu since 2010 .You already have it. It is a GUI for apt.
                              While Discover is an "app store", Muon and apt are used for 'advanced' package management tasks.

Comment

Working...
                              X