Upgraded to 22.04 LTS - Errors With apt and dpkg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to 22.04 LTS - Errors With apt and dpkg

Now I did some digging around and found that using Grub Customizer causes some issues when upgrading.

I have tried reinstalling Grub Customizer and removing "half-installed" from 5.11.0-38 in /var/lib/dpkg/status but both of suggested solutions failed.

This is what I get when trying to update and upgrade:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    Hit:2 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease                                                                    
    Hit:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease                                                                  
    Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease                                      
    Hit:5 https://repo.steampowered.com/steam stable InRelease                        
    Hit:6 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/danielrichter2007/grub-customizer/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    Reading package lists... Done                              
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
     hwinfo libffi7 libhd21 libobjc-9-dev libx86emu3 linux-image-5.8.0-48-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-48-generic
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
     linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic linux-image-5.11.0-46-generic linux-image-5.13.0-28-generic
    The following packages will be upgraded:
     gcc-10-base gcc-10-base:i386
    2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    3 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0 B/42.9 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 32.2 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 410565 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic (5.11.0-38.42~20.04.1) ...
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools:
    update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-38-generic
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub:
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/tela/theme.txt
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.0-34-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.0-34-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-86-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-86-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-84-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-84-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-48-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-48-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-45-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-45-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-44-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-44-generic
    /etc/grub.d/bin/grubcfg_proxy: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    or directory
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
    dpkg: error processing package linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic (--remove):
    installed linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: too many errors, stopping
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic
    Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)[/FONT]
    ​
    TLDR.... HALP!!!

Hope everyone has been well I haven't had my computer set up for almost 2 years and I'm updating everything.
    I figured I'd have at least a little fun
    Please excuse my poor English, English is my first language.

Shameless bump

Comment

O.K., the usual.

What did you upgrade from?
      Are you dual booting?
      What purpose does Grub Customizer support on this system?

Finally, do you have backup of your personal data, and can you do a clean install of 22.04?
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

• To update your Ubuntu-based system in CLI use sudo apt full-upgrade, not just sudo apt upgrade .
        • Perhaps look at https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer for a solution and otherwise report the bug there.
        • Personal preference: I never use or recommend Grub Customizer - in my experience it has always led to problems (at least in the long run).
          GRUB is not very hard to customize yourself and then you know exactly what you have done… (see: https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/index.html)
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 22, 2023, 05:46 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

The purpose of Grub Customizer was to provide themes for grub and make me feel like a real cool dude instead of appreciated the beauty and simplicity of grub.

After loads of digging around it seems people tend to avoid it because of issues it can cause, especially when it comes to upgrades.

My system is so borked it's comical to me how tweaks to grub files have screwed everything up so badly and it's been a passion project to try and put the pieces back together.

I am coming from 20.04 LTS -> 22.04 LTS

The best lead I have right now comes from a directory of backups created by Grub Customizer automatically, which is kind of them...
          Behold:
          Code:
          How to restore this backup
          --------------------------
           * make sure you have root permissions (`gksu nautilus` or `sudo -s` on command line) otherwise you won't be able to copy the files
           * to fix an unbootable configuration, just copy:
               * '/etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub' to '/boot/grub'
           * to reset the whole configuration (if it cannot be fixed by using grub customizer), also copy these files:
               * '/etc/grub.d/backup/etc_grub_d' to '/etc/grub.d'
               * '/etc/grub.d/backup/default_grub' to '/etc/default/grub'​
          I can no longer run dolphin as root to accomplish this so the terminal it is.

I can also just backup my home and reinstall..... but that would be too easy

Comment

Originally posted by Salamander View Post
            The purpose of Grub Customizer was to provide themes for grub and make me feel like a real cool dude instead of appreciated the beauty and simplicity of grub.

After loads of digging around it seems people tend to avoid it because of issues it can cause, especially when it comes to upgrades.

My system is so borked it's comical to me how tweaks to grub files have screwed everything up so badly and it's been a passion project to try and put the pieces back together.

I am coming from 20.04 LTS -> 22.04 LTS

The best lead I have right now comes from a directory of backups created by Grub Customizer automatically, which is kind of them...
            Behold:
            Code:
            How to restore this backup
            --------------------------
            * make sure you have root permissions (`gksu nautilus` or `sudo -s` on command line) otherwise you won't be able to copy the files
            * to fix an unbootable configuration, just copy:
            * '/etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub' to '/boot/grub'
            * to reset the whole configuration (if it cannot be fixed by using grub customizer), also copy these files:
            * '/etc/grub.d/backup/etc_grub_d' to '/etc/grub.d'
            * '/etc/grub.d/backup/default_grub' to '/etc/default/grub'​
            I can no longer run dolphin as root to accomplish this so the terminal it is.

I can also just backup my home and reinstall..... but that would be too easy
            ... and you wouldn't learn much

I get it. For what it's worth, I always keep konsole open, it always shows me stuff worth learning.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post

... and you wouldn't learn much

I get it. For what it's worth, I always keep konsole open, it always shows me stuff worth learning.
              Precisely!

Comment

Working...
              X