This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen in everything after nvidia drivers

I got a Dell Precision 3660 with upgraded options, it came with windows and I installed Kubuntu 22.04 (LTS).
    Things went smoothly with installation (switched off the disabled secure-boot, fast boot, RAID--> ACPI etc) apart from two things:

1. The nouveau driver was causing a hangup in restart or power-off (either from KDE menu or from commands), this was fixed once we disabled it.
    2. Nvidia drivers

In the process to install the NVIDIA drivers something happened and everything became black screen. No Dell logo, no BIOS screen, nothing other than a black screen. And yes I tried every video port.

I know that the drivers are installed because I can ssh the machine and see within, i.e.,
    Code:
    lsmod | grep nvidia
    :
    Code:
    nvidia_uvm 1761280 0
    nvidia_drm 90112 3
    nvidia_modeset 1314816 6 nvidia_drm
    nvidia 56668160 306 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_modeset
    drm_kms_helper 249856 3 drm_display_helper,nvidia_drm,i915
    drm 696320 12 drm_kms_helper,drm_display_helper,nvidia,drm_buddy ,nvidia_drm,i915,ttm
    video 73728 3 dell_wmi,i915,nvidia_modeset​
    Please advise on how to resolve this.

From a web search it appears that I might need to open the desktop and remove the battery to reset the BIOS. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to fix this from OS level before physical intervention?

I'm curious if you ever got this fixed. I have a similar problem but it is intermittent. Sometimes I get that blank screen, but I figured out it was actually sitting at the grub screen and I just let it time out or hit enter for the default OS to boot and it comes up and works once the desktop starts. I am using NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] graphics card and the monitor is an AOC 2267W (DVI-D-0) and the system uses UEFI. It has even happened a few times when I hit DELETE to enter UEFI so I learned to select my OS drive blind by using the keyboard.

Comment

Working...
    X