This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to convert MBR to UEFI

When I've Googled this question I'm given this 20 long instruction on how to convert mbr to uefi in the command line. I'm afraid of screwing up my install and machine. Does anyone know of a program that'll do this in a few simple steps?

Unfortunately there is no such program and you need to read more about it. First of all you can't convert MBR to UEFI. MBR can be converted to GPT. To use UEFI you must have GPT (GUID Partition Table) and EFI partition.
    First step is to backup your system.
    2) create EFI partition (this may involve resizing existing partition)
    3) convert MBR to GPT - this is simple with gdisk
    4) install bootloader to EFI partition following Ubuntu guidelines (example). But maybe search for some newer, more up-to-date guides.

If you don't want to screw up your install move files to different disk, repartition making GPT and EFI partition, install your system choosing proper options in installer.
    Last edited by gnomek; Jun 29, 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

You might start by re-defining what you are actually trying to do. No one can "convert" MBR to UEFI because they are two totally different things.

You can convert MBR to GPT, but that has nothing to do with UEFI. You can change from Legacy booting to UEFI booting, but would first have to convert MBR to GPT.

So are you wanting to change to UEFI booting or just convert from MBR to GPT

Please Read Me

Comment

I am guessing the OP wants to install a system that can be installed with a /boot/efi partition only…

As gnomek wrote: make a backup first (of your system / of anything that is important to you) !!!
        And check your backup and that you are able to use it before converting MBR to GPT or resizing your partitions, if something goes horribly wrong…

For rearranging your partitions I suggest booting from a live GParted USB stick.
        For the size of an EFI partition for /boot/efi I suggest 320 MB.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Or back up, then make sure the computer bios is set to use UEFI (maybe even disabling CSM/legacy), then simply use the installer to do an automatic install. Why have all the extra steps if they aren't necessary for a regular install?

Baby steps. Wet the toes before diving in head first. We don't need scuba gear in the shallow end of the pool. Wear the arm floaties. Pass the swim test before going to the deep end or using the diving board.......

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            […]
            Why have all the extra steps if they aren't necessary for a regular install?
            […]
            Possibly because for some reason the OP does not want to make a new, fresh installation…
            Unfortunately we don't know what the OP's final goal is - oshunluvr pointed that out.

We need more information!
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I installed Kubuntu on an older Dell laptop.I could only install the os using the legacy boot option but it would only boot to the desktop using the UEFI boot option but not before showing a "Invalid partition table " error. Supposedly, this can be fixed by converting the MBR to GPT.
              Last edited by jacatone; Jun 29, 2023, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Could you tell us the model of the Dell laptop?

If the laptop has a "UEFI boot option" it will be able to do a UEFI install. I suspect that you "could only install the os using the legacy boot option" because you booted the install medium in legacy mode. It can be tricky to boot a USB in UEFI mode on older hardware, and there are many variations. Once a USB is booted in BIOS/MBR mode it cannot do a UEFI install (and vice versa).
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X