X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin unusable after clean install

Greetings all,

I have just completed a clean install of Kubuntu 22.04 LTS on a VirtualBox 6.1.42 Virtual Machine and a problem I had updating my former 20.04 LTS Virtual Machine reappears: Dolphin is completely unusable, with severe screen tearing when scrolling through folders with several pages of elements followed by a complete freezing of the program. Additionally, it opens very slowly.

I have installed the so called "Guest Additions" and I have a decently capable machine with a Ryzen 7 4800H from which 8 virtual cores have been assigned to the VM, 16 GB of memory with 8 allocated for the VM and the OS is running in a virtual, fixed-size 50 GB VDI file in a 970 EVO NVMe SSD. Previously thinking it was a compositor problem, I discarded it since the compositor works fine in this clean installation as opposed to the upgraded OS in another VM.

The system settings also have a very low frame opening animation but no screen tearing or freezing upon navigation. Is this a known issue to which there could be a solution? I understand running Kubuntu on hardware instead of virtualized may be one of those solutions but it is currently not possible given the use case of my PC. Note: none of these problems where present in a Kubuntu 20.04 LTS VM with an identical configuration,

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

I assume you have installed the appropriate extension pack in VirtualBox?

Did you give the maximum of VRAM to the virtual graphic controller?
    Did you try different graphic contoller settings (VMSVGA/VBoxSVGA/3D Acceleration)?
    Did you try installing the VM without the Guest Additions?

PS: No known issue to me at least - on my desktop computer I run several Kubuntu VMs in VirtualBox 7.0.6 on a Debian host for (customer) tests (from Kubuntu 18.04 up to 23.04) without any problems…
    PPS: They also run fine if I start them from a Kubuntu 22.04 host in VirtualBox 6.1.38.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2023, 03:04 PM. Reason: added PS & PPS :-)
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
    X