This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Closed] Trying to upgrade old emachines DT

It's been sitting on my shelf and I decided to slap an SSD in it (it had no HD) and install Kubuntu 22.04.
    It's a 64-bit system so I was sure it would install OK.
    After Kubuntu installed and I removed the USB stick, it restarted and I was greeted with gobbledy-gook on the black screen.
    I think that has something to do with NVIDIA not playing nice.
    Diagonal rows of something too small to read.
    However, I don't remember how I got past this when I first installed Mint 17.7 on my current box. (Now running Kubuntu 22.04.)
    I'm thinking maybe I started a live session and installed drivers but I just don't remember.
    This problem sound familiar to anyone?

What are the specifications of the computer (CPU, GPU, etc.)?

What does at which point exactly happen when you boot the machine (GRUB, tty, nothing - a screenshot could be helpful…)?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by linelocker View Post
      This problem sound familiar to anyone?
      I sounds like the problems that were helped by setting "nomodeset". I don't know how to do that with 22.04 on your hardware.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Typically, to set kernel boot options, you must edit the grub configuration file. However, you can do this temporarily for a single boot by entering the grub menu during the boot process. If you do not get to see the grub boot menu after the bios automatically, you may have to press SHIFT key after the bios logo to get into the grub menu:

Once in the grub menu, select the default kubuntu kernel (...usually the top one if there is more than one), and rather than pressing enter, press E to edit.

Press the DOWN ARROW until you get to the line that starts with

Code:
        linux /boot
        and then press END key to position your cursor at the end of the that line, usually ending with the options “quiet splash”.

Now you can type in the additional kernel boot option "nomodeset". So your options would then be "quiet splash nomodeset".

Then press control+X to boot the modified grub entry.

Important: Setting the boot options this way only applies to a single boot. If you reboot your machine, those settings will be lost unless you make them permanent​ by editing the /etc/default/grub file setting: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

After editing the grub default file you will need to update grub so it'll take effect on the next boot:

Code:
        sudo update-grub
        cheers,
        bill
        Last edited by bweinel; Apr 27, 2023, 09:52 AM.
        sigpic
        A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Bill that was very helpful!

Comment

Glad to be of assistance...

cheers,
            bill
            sigpic
            A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X