This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates question

Why are some item descriptions in bold while others are not?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Examples/screenshots?

To be honest, this is something I either do not see myself or simply never noticed over the years. Which is entirely possible.

Without seeing what you see, it is hard to be able to tell.

My first off-the-cuff guess is it is probably due to the multiple sources/platforms available - Snap, Flatpak, KDE-store items, firmware, as well as native packages. So Discover is reading information from a variety of different tools using different formats, and maybe this causes some things to show as bold?
    Or it is just something where the description itself as provided by its creator uses bold text formatting?

But to be honest, I have no clue. None of my updates are bold anywhere today.

Comment

When you select a file and then click the more information button to get more description, it lists a bunch of stuff, some in bold and some in not. Of course, if it's the NVIDIA driver or something like that then no information is displayed other than the file name and maybe a little about what it does but specifics are private.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

What file, where? Which application?
        I don't read minds so well.
        It is easy to take a screenshot and attach it here.

I may be being dense and need different glasses, but I myself have no clue what you are talking about.

You haven't even said what 'item descriptions' you are even talking about. I have to assume you mean Discover, but it could be a completely different application altogether.

Comment

I noticed that yesterday when I was searching for what "esm-apps" were. The answer was found at this website:
          https://ubuntu.com/pro/tutorial
          Package names in bold currently have an available update with 'esm-apps' enabled
          I found that the "pro" app was already installed by default and when I started playing around I noticed that the command "pro security-status --esm-apps" produced a listing in which several apps in the list were bold highlighted.

If this is not the cause of your highlighting then I have no clue as to what is causing it.

Since esm-apps was available for free as a single subscription I registered and generated a token and then attached it to my laptop as described in the tutorial. So, this 2022.04 Kubuntu installation's esm-apps are now covered until 2032. I'm 82. That should be long enough to cover my needs.

pro status
          SERVICE ENTITLED STATUS DESCRIPTION
          esm-apps yesenabled Expanded Security Maintenance for Applications
          esm-infra yesenabled Expanded Security Maintenance for Infrastructure
          livepatch yesdisabled Current kernel is not supported
          realtime-kernel yesdisabled Ubuntu kernel with PREEMPT_RT patches integrated

Enable services with: pro enable <service>

Account: greygeek@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
          Subscription: Ubuntu Pro - free personal subscription
          I can't enable "live-patch" or "realtime-kernel" because I am using a tainted kernel.

and
          pro security-status
          2737 packages installed:
          1699 packages from Ubuntu Main/Restricted repository
          1031 packages from Ubuntu Universe/Multiverse repository
          4 packages from third parties
          3 packages no longer available for download

To get more information about the packages, run
          pro security-status --help
          for a list of available options.

This machine is attached to an Ubuntu Pro subscription.

Main/Restricted packages are receiving security updates from
          Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-infra' enabled until 2032.

Universe/Multiverse packages are receiving security updates from
          Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled until 2032. You have received 21 security
          updates.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X