• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Dolphin as root

$ sudo su
    [sudo] password for mike:
    root@mike-System-Product-Name:/home/mike# dolphin
    Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I can open /boot, but then I can't open /efi.
    How do you use Dolphin as root this way?
    I thought this capability had been fixed in Dolphin (after its removal in 2017).
    Tried search site:kubuntuforums.net "Dolphin as root" etc.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Mar 09, 2023, 06:01 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Search outside of kfn, for more hits.
    But
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...nd-work-around
    Plasma 5.27, via kio-admin, is the method that they have come up with that works, after a number of false starts, maybe some dead ends, and devs giving up/leaving/moving on from working on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230309_192143.png
Views:	771
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	668964

Comment

I'm in /boot, I try to open /efi (like rt-click), but do not see any 'open as admin' option ...
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Also, "show full path" doesn't stick -- it works only once; I close Dolphin, open it, but then have to right-click on the URL bar and set "show full path" again (so I can see "/").

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          […]
          Plasma 5.27, via kio-admin, is the method that they have come up with that works, […]
          You can also install/use kio-admin in Kubuntu 22.04 for Plasma 5.24 if you enable the Kubuntu Backports PPA.

But I don't quite understand your reason to use Dolphin as root. You are already in a root shell with $ sudo su -
          What are you trying to do - list the contents of /boot/efi?
          # ls -lhR /boot/efi will list them recursively.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 09, 2023, 07:40 PM. Reason: typos
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

@Schwarzer Kater
            Yeah, you're right, sudo su and ls etc.
            I wonder why the graphical doesn't work.
            Krusader.

Comment

Does your "show full path" stick?

Comment

In Dolphin's settings? Yes, it sticks in my Kubuntu 22.04.
                Perhaps just trash your dolphinrc and the behavior may go away…

PS: Or don't literally "trash" it but temporarily move it from .config to your desktop in case you want to move it back with all your previous settings if generating a new dolphinrc does not change the behavior.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 09, 2023, 07:58 PM. Reason: added PS
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks, S.K. Slowing down here, cooling my jets, playing with Dolphin here ... getting a better hang of how it works. Mainly, the URL bar area. I can see how to make it look about anyway I want it to look. Sorry for this goofing around. Doesn't always pay to be in such a hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    Doesn't always pay to be in such a hurry!
                    Lol, no it doesn't! I can attest to that!
                    I munged up my Nextcloud setup on my NAS while waiting for a virtual job interview that was a no-show.
                    Mucked it up worse by hurrying, and missing a few steps, and important sections of the docs, while waiting for subdomains to propagate through the DNS network.
                    I ended up re-doing this from scratch. But I added the online office suite to it, which will be useful in the long run.

Nextcloud is the KDE of sync/collab software. Nice stuff, but prone to .......issues at times lol
                    Last edited by claydoh; Mar 09, 2023, 09:30 PM.

Comment

LOL, for sure 👍 ...

Comment

You can use this command to open dolphin as root if you want.
                        Code:
                        pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin​
                        Works for me everytime.
                        I usually make a new entery in my menu Dolphin(Root) using this command.
                        Good Luck.
                        I will add be very careful with what you doing when in root mode.
                        Last edited by kc1di; Mar 10, 2023, 05:17 AM.
                        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          I'm in /boot, I try to open /efi (like rt-click), but do not see any 'open as admin' option ...
                          As I (unclearly) mentioned, this is in Plasma 5.27, so in the upcoming Lunar release.

But......
                          Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                          You can also install/use kio-admin in Kubuntu 22.04 for Plasma 5.24 if you enable the Kubuntu Backports PPA.
                          I do not think so- I don't see it anywhere. oops I found it
                          Plus, adding the PPA to 22.04 will also upgrade all of Plasma and KDE stuff to 5.25. Which to me is a Good Thing.
                          5.25 is still a Good Thing, 5.27 even more so.
                          Last edited by claydoh; Mar 10, 2023, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Thank you for that, kc1di, I'll try it. Have heard it is a now famous command floating around the Internet, but I either didn't see it or I stumbled past it.

I will add be very careful with what you doing when in root mode.
                            Yes. Actually, one of the things I like to do (with the ESP) is break my system, actually break the booting or challenge it; then see what works to fix it for UEFI.
                            Just kidding, kind of. (But you can see all my UEFI how-to's here under documentation.)

Many thanks, kc1di.

Comment

To be honest you don't need it for 95% of the stuff we do but there are exceptions like boot and some other folders and files. Enjoy!
                              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                              X