Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Power management settings not working; applications closed on wake from sleep

Yesterday, I upgraded to 22.04 from the last LTS version of Kubuntu. I am using an HP Elitebook 840 G6. I've reproduced the detailed software and hardware information below.

I now have several problems with power management and the computer sleeping and waking.

The first problem is that whatever settings I put into the power management energy savings interface don't seem to be remembered/attended to. For example, if I set the computer to "do nothing" when laptop lid is closed on AC power, it ignores this and instigates sleep when the lid is closed. I have tried a few combinations of settings, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to what the settings say and what the computer actually does.

The rest of the problems are to do with what the computer does when it is woken from sleep. There are a few minor problems: it seems to forget the settings for the system tray locale icon, sometimes it refuses to wake up at all and needs to be hard-booted. But the biggest problem is that sleep seems to make it close every running application. If I have a few windows open, and then put the computer to sleep, on waking up all the windows have closed and the applications are not in the task manager.

All this is really hugely frustrating, and any help would be appreciated. Looking around other forums and the internet suggests that several people have problems with sleep and power management in 22.04, but nobody seems to have specifically reported the issue I have with applications closing.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-67-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz
    Memory: 7,6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620​

You could
    • try if the problems still occur in another user account
    • from another user account​ sudo rm -r /home/YOUR_MAIN_USER_ACCOUNT/.cache/* or from a tty in your main user account rm -r $HOME/.cache/*, log out and in again (I consider it to always be a good idea to remove the user's caches when upgrading from one major release to another)
    • and as GreyGeek often recommends: try a Wayland session instead of X11
    • you could also try if switching between the 5.15 LTS and the 5.19 HWE kernels makes a difference
    • full-upgrade to a newer KDE Frameworks version etc. with the Kubuntu Backports PPA (install ppa-purge first, so you have the ability to easily go back just to be on the safe side - https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...s_filter=jammy ), reboot.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 05, 2023, 06:59 AM. Reason: added kernel suggestion & CHANGED ORDER because of your answer ;-)
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

OK, thanks. I will try those things in that order and see what happens.

Comment

I changed the order of my suggestions, see above.
        If you have any questions about the suggestions feel free to ask.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 05, 2023, 06:38 AM. Reason: typos
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

LOST the USB keyboard last night running Kubuntu on a 2TB SanDisk over thunderbolt on an Apple iMac when WAKING from SUSPEND.

Let it run last night with only the screen powered down and could login fine in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            I changed the order of my suggestions, see above.
            If you have any questions about the suggestions feel free to ask.
            I only needed to go as far as suggestion 2, flushing the cache. That seems to have worked perfectly. Which is (1) Good! Simple and easy, (2) a little embarrassing—perhaps I ought to have thought of it myself, and (3) slightly mysterious: I don't really understand why that worked, though I probably wouldn't understand the explanation either. Anyway. Problem solved, thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
            X