This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to start Samba NMB Daemon

Hello all, lately updating of Kubuntu 22.04.1 on my old desk top Lenovo box is producing the error message "Failed to start Samba NMB Daemon" at the system boot-up. Then system stalls with a blinking corser. I googled for the cause without any positive result. Any one experiencing this or any suggestions?
    I must mention that a boot-up with system recovery's "Resume" works well with no glitches at all. Also I do multi boot both Linux Mint 23 and Ubuntu 22.04.1 on separate partitions on this system. They have no problem with booting up at all.
    Thanks!

In Konsole try:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable nmbd.service
    sudo systemctl disable smbd.service
    Reboot.

If this succeeds and you need Samba services, perhaps apt reinstall them to be sure every needed component really is there and is properly linked.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 29, 2023, 12:14 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Just note that the last thing you see on the screen is such situation probably has little to do with the actual problem.
      It is more likely a symptom, not a cause, so you would want to look at the log files (KSystemLog is a viewing tool GUI) and search for that error, and look for items happening before that.

Since it is not happening when going to recovery mode, I suspect a networking issue somewhere, or some service Samba needs item timing out during a regular boot, that is loading (or not being loaded) at a different time in the recovery boot process.

One can, when attempting to boot normally, also hit the escape key to toggle between the Wall of text and the black or splash screen mode. This might reveal more info when it freezes as well.

Comment

Yes I believe claydoh is right. I did disable Samba nmbd & smbd as instructed in post #2 above.
        Now, the Samba error message is gone. But i get the following error message, and the boot-up still stalls with a blinking courser below the message line:
        "acpi INT0800:00 platform device creation failed:-16" without quotes.​
        Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 29, 2023, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
          "acpi INT0800:00 platform device creation failed:-16"
          That is very likely meaningless, more informational, and not necessarily an error at all.
          Linux likes to log All the Things, sometimes even the frivolous stuff. I almost 100% positive this is one of those.
          Also note that booting up is not a linear process, and many things happen in parallel, so you can't just go by what is showing on the screen, unless you can see more of it than that one item.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          hit the escape key to toggle between the Wall of text and the black or splash screen mode. This might reveal more info when it freezes as well.

Comment

Working...
          X