This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to override screenlocker with xscreensaver not working

I have been running Kubuntu for many years and recently upgraded to Ubuntu 24.04 via the upgrade feature.
    I run xscreensaver and there used to be a way to override the default kscreenlocker so that when you click the 'lock screen' button, the xscreensaver kicks in vs. the default kscreensaver.

This used to work flawlessly in the past by:
    1. finding the kscreensaver_greet file (current version is located in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/​)
    2. replacing the file with the following text file (apologies but I can't figure how to format this as a code block)
      #!/bin/sh
      xscreensaver-command -lock​
    3. making xscreensaver-command executable via chmod a+x
    When I try this on my upgraded machine, I get a message that the "screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore"
    In order to unlock, I need to switch to a virtual terminal and enter "loginctl unlock-session 3"

You are probably going to need to disable kscreenlocker, as loginctl (systemd) is what is calling it, and replacing the binary with a script is breaking the service, probably.

I believe that xss-lock can be used to call xscreensaver for screenlocking purposes on systemd, loginctl should be able to use that , but I have zero clue how this need to be set up. I did not dig into it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jdabronx View Post
      and recently upgraded to Ubuntu 24.04

First, 22.04 doesn't exist; yet. Second, you're posting in 22.10. So exactly what version Kubuntu did you upgrade to; what version are you running?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Apologies. Here is my version info - 24.04 doesn't exist and is incorrect in my original post.
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
        Release: 22.04
        Codename: jammy

Comment

Working...
        X