X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X11-Plasma on 22.04LTS

hi all,

ho is it possible to install and use X11-Plasma on 22.04LTS? I'm having problems with Wayland since it doesn't seem to properly restore open apps and windows, see this , in particular, I miss being able to restore okular, dolphin the terminal

thanks,
    andrea

Xorg is the default display sever still, you would need to explicitly choose Wayland at the login screen to be using it.
    Actually, for Kubuntu 22.04 still, I *think* you need to also explicitly install Wayland support separately to even be able to log in to it. I can't remember now.

So, if you do not have an option on the lower right corner of your login screen to choose a login option, you are still using X11.
    If you do have an option, you simply need to select X11 or Wayland there. The option selected iirc should become the default choice on the next login.
    If you use autologin, you can specify x11 in System Serttings

Comment

Now, if you are having issues with session restore in X11, you might try temporarily disabling the feature for a logon or two, then turning it back on.
      This used to work for me, sometimes.

Comment

You can easily check in Konsole if you are using X11 or Wayland: echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

It will also be shown in -> System -> Info Centre's "About this system".
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...152#post667152 , I'll try as you suggest

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...156#post667156

It turns out I'm still using X11, but I started having this kind of problem with session restore when I switched to 22.04LTS, I'll also try to install Wayland, it might fix it,

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ticonzero View Post
              I'll also try to install Wayland, it might fix it,
              No, wayland does not work well with saved sessions currently, as shown by your bug report. Though it won't hurt anything to try it.

Have you double-checked your options in System Settings? Switch to the 'start with empty session' option for a login or two, and switch back. This often can fix this problem.

Or try deleting the config for this: ~/.config/ksmserverrc

Comment

Working...
              X