This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Changed global theme -- launchers got trashed

Warning! Don't just download and use any global theme. I went into System Settings ==> Appearance ==> Global Theme ==> Get New Global Themes

I tried a few out just to see what different looks I could find. The one named WhiteSur - dark trashed my launcher. Suddenly, when I tried to use it, I got this error message:

Click image for larger version  Name:	error-message-final.png Views:	0 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	667122

I seem to remember reinstalling the launcher from the command line, but, sadly, I do not have the code for it in my CherryTree database. So I googled around a ton, and found a lot of Ubuntu stuff, but very little Kubuntu. Finally, when I searched for KDE instead of Kubuntu, I found a suggestion to just right click and reinstall the widget. Turns out, now some of the launches will work, but the ones that start with the name "Better" do not, and still give me that same error message. Here's an image that shows which ones will work and which won't:

Click image for larger version  Name:	launchers-final.png Views:	0 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	667123

You can see, Better Application Dashboard and Better Application Menu are the two which are now killed off. I could not find code to reinstall them.

Fortunately, I'm not in a world of hurt because I like the Application Dashboard one (the full-screen launcher), and am using it. However, it would be nice to get those two back that got killed off. I was suprised that that Global Theme trashed these, so be wary of those. I would not install one unless you know it's trustworthy.

But if anyone knows how I can get those "Better" application launchers back, I would appreciate your tips. Right clicking and installing them does not work. Also, if I install one of the ones that does work and then right click on the Kubuntu Start icon and choose "Show Alternatives," I must choose one of the launchers that works. If I choose either of the "Better" ones, the Kububuntu Start button turns back into just an icon that shows that error message if clicked.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

You can quickly switch between launcher variants by right-clicking on it and using the "Show Alternatives" option, and swap them around. This also works on others things, such as the calendar/clock

To remove, you have to go into the Add Widgets menu >> Get New.. >> Download >>> then use the filters at the top to only show installed entries to make it easier.

Global themes are just meta-packages that install groups of individual theming bits and widgets. Unfortunately, there is no good 'easy' way to uninstall these as a whole as of yet.

Comment

If I use the "Show Alternatives" option and choose either of those launchers named "Better," I end up with the same error message. Those two that I've marked "does not work" are uninstalled somehow.

I tried to uninstall it (so I can reinstall it), but this is what I get:

Attached Files
      Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Dec 12, 2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Go ahead and remove the directory shown in the error - that's the location for the widget files
        Reinstalling it is very unlikely to fix it... but you never know.

I'd make sure that you have both the "better' Kicker and the 'better' dash removed, and then reinstalled, as it seems you need the kicker (kmenu) part installed for the dashboard to work?
        Or at least make sure this widget is actually installed

https://github.com/HimDek/Better-Kicker-Dash-for-Plasma

I dunno. there are so many copies and forks of forks and clones, and many are old, dead, and /or broken as the creators can't or don't maintain or fix them

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Go ahead and remove the directory shown in the error - that's the location for the widget files
          Reinstalling it is very unlikely to fix it... but you never know.

I'd make sure that you have both the "better' Kicker and the 'better' dash removed, and then reinstalled, as it seems you need the kicker (kmenu) part installed for the dashboard to work?
          Or at least make sure this widget is actually installed

https://github.com/HimDek/Better-Kicker-Dash-for-Plasma

I dunno. there are so many copies and forks of forks and clones, and many are old, dead, and /or broken as the creators can't or don't maintain or fix them

The launchers I've got are working, so I've just removed the "Better" ones and am going with what works. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
          X