X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Black graphical boot menu disappeared

Good afternoon:

Lately, (since version 20.04) I am having occasional problems especially with the installation. I just reinstalled version 22.04 LTS and the black graphical boot menu (Kubuntu, testmemory, safe mode, etc) has disappeared, just the O.S boots directly.

The O.S is installed in UEFI mode and these are the existing folders in the /sys/firmware directory:
    /acpi, /dmi, /efi and /memmap.

Is there any way to recover it? I would appreciate any indication on this matter. Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.
    Last edited by Hendrixx; Dec 14, 2022, 12:48 PM.

Memtest only works on older Legacy BIOS boooting, not UEFI systems, so you can't get that unless you can swtich your boot mode.

You should be able to get a menu (iirc) by stabbing esc (maybe shift) during bootup, just past the POST as as you power on
    Last edited by claydoh; Dec 08, 2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      You should be able to get a menu (iirc) by stabbing esc (maybe shift) during bootup
      Thank you for your answer.
      Yes, esc worked. Is there any way to make it permanent and have it always show up when booting the O.S?. It gives me more confidence.
      Last edited by Hendrixx; Dec 08, 2022, 11:59 AM.

Comment

You can edit the grub configuration as described here:
        https://www.fosslicious.com/2020/01/...ntu-linux.html

Or try the tool grub-customizer

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          You can edit the grub configuration as described here:
          https://www.fosslicious.com/2020/01/...ntu-linux.html
          The article is correct, but in my case it didn't work until I also increased the GRUB_TIMEOUT variable to 7, otherwise it didn't seem to give it enough time to display on the screen. To keep in mind.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrixx View Post
            The article is correct, but in my case it didn't work until I also increased the GRUB_TIMEOUT variable to 7, otherwise it didn't seem to give it enough time to display on the screen. To keep in mind.
            If you want the grub menu to remain displayed until you actually press Enter, then change the value of GRUB_TIMEOUT to a negative value.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              If you want the grub menu to remain displayed until you actually press Enter, then change the value of GRUB_TIMEOUT to a negative value.
              It is good to know...Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X